Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 Compact

MScorpionZ
Visitor

Xperia 1 Compact

Hello

Why is there no compact flagship among new phones?

I look forward to flagship phone with screen of 5-5.5 inches

Hope, I'm not alone?

32 REPLIES 32
Machiaveli
Visitor

Sorry but no, the Xperia X10 isn't a compact phone. It's even taller than the XZ1...

So this is a no go for those seeking a COMFORTABLE phone that fits in pockets, can be used easily for everyone one handed.

XZ1: 148 x 73 x 7,4 mm

XZ2 Compact: 135 x 65 x 12,1 mm

X10: 156 x 68 x 8,4 mm

Where this 'who got the biggest' game gonna ends? 200? 250 mm ?

This is getting ridiculous Face_with_rolling_Eyes

Lukalumen
Contributor

It's taller, but thinner, it will fit in your pocket just the same.

And you have a one handed mode on all Sony phones, even if you're a child you can reach everything on the screen that way.

It's great if you need a compact phone and don't like notches and holes, the 10 series is bad value for money otherwise. 

Tizer
Contributor

It's not the width that some people have a problem with, It's the length.

A true Compact will fit in the front pocket of most Jeans or trousers and allow the wearer to sit down without bending the phone or doing themselves an injury. 156mm is too long to allow this, especially if you usually wear Jeans.

Machiaveli
Visitor

Exactly. Even the thickness isn't a problem nor the weight (whereas new generations are somewhat often called "mollusc generation" where they can't hold more than 1 gram and being weary Face_with_stuck-out_Tongue_&_winking_Eye)

When I read reviews saying the X2C compact is too heavy, I'm seriously baffled.

Those who never had handy phones can't understand why most of compact phones's users are upsetted to not found anymore a practical smartphone which doesn't look likes cake slices...)

emornet
Visitor

I also had 3 different Xperia compact version. The X compact I'm still using is really perfect in many points... And for the first time since my Ericsson T10s, the lack of Xperia One Compact will force me to leave Sony. The only last plus you had in this tough mobile phone market was the compact top version ... Your choice is hard to understand. I imagine reading all comment, that many People like me can't imagine themseseves using à quasi IPad to Have à Phone call !!

PabloBendezu
Visitor

I had the x compact and i think of buying the xz2 compact.

Why did you not like the xz2 compact?

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

@emornet 

I agree.

Although X and X Compact do not have the ultimate processor, they are reliable everyday workhorses on which one can depend.

Jake75
Visitor

In 2019, Samsung realises there is a market for a smaller phone with top of the line processor and features, and offer S10e as alternative to S10.  Apple realises the same and offers XR as alternative to XS.  I know, both are not what a Sony Compact user would consider compact, but these two other companies seem to come to the realisation that, with sizes going the way they are, not everyone wants the biggest, and not everyone who doesn't want the biggest is okay with inferior performance on other scores. 

As these two companies dominating the high end market come to this realisation, Sony releases an awesome small smart portable TV with phone and camera features, calls it the Xperia 1, and discontinues the compact alternative they have always offered.  To me, THAT is where Sony's marketing genius comes in!

SuperHot
Visitor

Unknow Sony device with 5.1" 21:9 screen has showen up on benchmarks. It's powered by 855 and has single 18mp back shooter. Size is comparable to current XZ2 Compact

Ninjabird7
Visitor

I'd rather have a larger phone but I can see the appeal of small phones. A compact Xperia 1 at IFA priced at around 500 USD could really help Sony mobile division.