Join now - be part of our community!

Finger print not sensitive xperia5

DeepShip
Visitor

Finger print not sensitive xperia5

I hold my xperia 5 on my left hand, and is a mission to register m y left hand finger, and when it does it just work like 50 of times.

Is this a phone quality issues or am I doing sth wrong?

62 REPLIES 62
ply17410
Visitor

I hold LEFT HAND also.  I have an Xperia 1 and there is a HUGE thread around this subject on the Xperia 1 forum.

At this point the fingerprint unlock is nothing but a novelty as it is not anywhere near consistent.

Bob H

SWK721
Visitor

So I've had this problem on Android 10 as well, on Pie it seemed to work better. 

Yesterday it didn't scan at all, it always gave me the "couldn't process fingerprint" message.  

The way I fixed it was booting into safe mode. 

In safe mode it worked 9/10 times without any problems for some reason. After exiting safe mode the sensor started working better for me (maybe 7/10 times). 

Hope this might help you guys. 

vlad_kfv
Visitor

My FP sensor worked perfectly for two weeks, I did not get a single "Partial FP detected" and was wondering what's with the bad press.

Then, gradually over the course of a day, it's started playing up. Now I'm in line with everyone else, frustrating experience at less than 20% hit rate. Android 9 or 10 doesn't seem to make a difference, tried factory resetting etc.

Checking the Service Menu (*#*#7378423#*#* from the Dialler --> Service Tests --> Fingerprint Test) returns the following:

Fingerprint Sensor Status:
Sensor not OK (in red)
Sensor HWID:
0x0603

Raised this on XDA, instantly got replies from two other users with the same HWID code.

Sony Chat Support did not help, wondering if we can get a reply on here.

ply17410
Visitor

vlad_kfv,

Excellent post and info!  I have an Xperia 1 and have been struggling with fingerprint recognition just as everyone here with the Xperia 5.

Checked the service menu and see the same status as you reported:

Sensor not OK 
Sensor HWID:
0x0603

I wonder what a brand new out of box phone would show?

Bob H

Jrnr
Visitor

My FPS works only on certain angles and the service test shows Fingerprint NOT OK.

What should I do? I am on Android 10 and did a software repair too.

Should I replace it?

SWK721
Visitor

According to the Xperia 1 forum the "solution" is using your warranty to get a replacement phone.. not really my preferred solution. 

I'm contemplating to either wait it out or to contact customer support (which will be a drama considering the holiday period).

tomo100brt
Visitor

Yes you should. Hardware problem.

Morto
Visitor

Scanner on my 5 seemed to be working fine and dany until middle of this month then all of a sudden it fails to recognise my thumb on almost every occasion. I have delted my prints and re-entered them at least 5 times now, and have multiple profiles set for the same digit (my right thumb). If i clean the sensor it will sometimes work fine first time but without that I get the "Couldn't process" error message. Before anyone says, i have tried with and without teh case and also chekcing the sensor first reveals no obvious dirt, grease or moisture. I emailed my detaisl to Sony Support and first the said "reregister your prints", then "reboot" then just told me to get teh phone replaced. Yeah, three days before Xmas i'm going to send my phone off for replacement.....Nice to see they're doing something useful to look into this. My last phone was the XZ2 Compact, senosr worked fine. Before that I had the XZ1 Compact which also had no problems. GET YOUR AR5E IN GEAR SONY.

profile.country.PL.title
zielony28x
New

Just wait few days it will start working the same as it stop working 🤷🏻‍♂️😁 I've had the same problem. Now 8 times for 10 it's working.

ply17410
Visitor

Checked the service menu on a display phone at Best Buy and sensor reports OK

Sensor OK

Sensor HWID:

0x0603

Got same result on an Xperia 10+ and Xperia 10 that were also on display.  My wife's Xperia 10 also shows OK.  Although major inconvenience, I'm going to send mine back to Sony under warranty.

Bob H