Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
roman.slezar
Explorer

I had the same issue. Factory reset solved it.

profile.country.GB.title
Sanjo1975
Explorer

(re-The_Notorious) I have the same tv as you KD-55X8509C. I updated mine with the usb. I have had no issues what so ever after the update all is working as it should.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Guys well I did my update manually last night London UK on my KD-43X8307  and it went on like a dream. 

In fact I'm very happy indeed. TV preformance is better than I expected. I just don't understand why their are still so many complaints after the update from many users. 

The TV picture is brighter sharper and alot smother. No lag at all now. Animation is very smooth TV just feels what this TV should be preforming like the money I spent on it. 

Btw SERIOUSLY DO A FACTORY RESET AFTER SOFTWARE UPDATE!!!! 

This works the same way as a mobile phone with Andriod if you don't you may have bugs left behind in the cache and bug left behind mixed in the old software.

By doing a clean install or factory reset you are formatting the Harddisk so no crap or bugs will linger they are wiped so please all listen to advise and for once Sony are correct you will get the very best out your TV by doing a format aka factory reset!. 

So it takes alittle longer by redoing your settings it's upto you. Want a TV that performs at its best...????. 

I know what I'm talking about I work in I.T services at a college and most of my life.. 

profile.country.GB.title
fether
Explorer

since iv updated no matter what i change i cant get spmc or kodi 17 to change resolution to 3840 x 2160 as any 1 had the same problem ?????? was fine since update and factory reset.

regards

fwther

billsinc
New

My KD-55X8509C has been updatinging now for about 7 hours.  about 30 mins ago I tired powering off at the plug and switching back on.... no change.

TV keep powering itseld on and off, "SONY" comes on to screen then fours dynamic circles, then screen goes blank and sequence repeats.

Any ideas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear all and especially @Kuschelmonschter

I have noticed a post on the German forums about (translation issues aside):

"It is already interesting that the Sony gurus in German and English forums hide, if Sony a large update freigibt."

Please let me take explain the reason why I and other 'Experts' have been seemingly missing this week.  It is not that we are hiding.... But more the fact that this Marshmallow firmware update happened to be released at the exact same time that forum 'experts' and some Sony Staff have an annual meetup.  This meetup is aimed for Experts and Sony to meet with each other as well as Sony providing some training and information on upcoming products etc. 

Things will quickly get back to normal now.

Thank you

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Hi Guys and Girls.

Since I started this thread more than a year ago, it's time to post my experience with Marshmallow update.

My first opinion about Marshmallow on KDL-50W809C is bittersweet.

Updated my TV over USB and done factory reset too.

What I like:

1. Best Feature: Changing between Guide and Tv os seamless. No flickering, no big delay It should work like this from the start.
  2. Overall picture quality seems to be better, especially in dark scenes.
  3. Indexing my Movie Collection from network drive in Archos was far more faster than earlier, so I think the network connection is better, too.
  4. In the Discovery menu the new icons are more astetic.
  5. The new volume display is better, but I don't understan why goes the black background all the way from left to right corner.
  6. The channel setup is finally not lagging 2sec.

What I don't like:

1. I still have all the issues with the guide sometimes showing "No event information". This happens more often with Marshmallow.
  2. I still have the issue when the recorded video show the wrong name(the following program title).
  3. After pressing a button on the remote I have ~1s delay almost always
  4. Sorting favorite channels alphabetically is not possible
  5. In discovery menu the Digital and favorites don't show automatically the program title(only for the channels which I recently watched)
  6. I didn't found an option to sort Programs according to Genres. Looks like Hungary is here excludet like with the SideView app :(.
  7. Starting the Digital tuner after deep sleep takes longer.

A Bug:

1. If I'm in a favorite channel list, after changing channels, the tv shows double Info Banners. It happens on dvb-t. Only by favorite channels. Both analog and digital.
  2. I too have the problem with favorite channels as markom80. If I select the favorite channels, it changes back to digital if I press TV button

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

@Anonymous: Should I report this bug to Hungarian support, or can You escalate it from here?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@djmickey83

Can you reply back on whether this double info banner is

1. Specific certain channels in the favourites list?
  2. Any difference in HD/SD Channels?
  3. Which Tuner (i.e. DVB-T/2, DVB-S/2 etc)

I can report it from here.  I actually spoke to a very lovely bloke over the last couple of days who is dedicated to product quality and user experience - however the more information you guys can provide, the quicker/easier they can replicate the issue and potentially roll out a fix.  The photos are great by the way !  But if you have any further info, please add too.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Anonymous My set has not yet been updated - phew!

Can I assume you are monitoring the status of the issue and will report back here whwn it is fixed and restarted.

Thanks for your support here.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.