Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
chbjerg

I am trying a factory reset tonight. A pain in the ass to set up the apps again, and the picture settings. Speaking of which - I seem to have lost the link I had to my picture settings. I suppose I could just copy the ones I have now, but I'd like to hear if anyone has some favorite settings they're using? I have a 65X8509

I am trying the factory reset because my tv has gotten incredibly slow the first 2-3 minutes after turning on. It will take 2-3 seconds to register a push on a button. 

Also my Harmony Elite Hub no longer sees the tv as a WiFi device, so I have to control via IR:

@Anonymous : Have you heard if Sony are planning to do anything about the fact that the tv now exits favorites on the EPG everytimeyou switch to an external input or App. If I enter the Plex app on my tv, it says "leaving favorites", and sure enough, when i close the app, I have to enter EPG, press ActionMenu, select Guide Source and select Favorites 1 - which is where I ALWAYS want to be. Like it worked in Lolllipop

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

@Kuschelmonschter

I totaly agree with You. Back when the recoding function became active, I reported to Sony, that in case if I manually start recording until "Default" time(untill the show lasts) it will not stop recording.

Also reported, that if I record something with timer, it will record the show with the next show tile. But even during the recording it shows the correct title in the Guide, but in the recording menu already shows the next show title...

Sony sad, it is the fault of the Cable Provider, aldough LG and Samsung tvs functioning without such errors :-/.

The only reason I didn't returned my TV because of Android and Archos... But my next set will not be Sony...

By the way: In the Guide do you have the Genre option? How can I order the cannels according to Genre? I didn't found this option on my set. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@Anonymous,

can you please ask Sony, how often the TV is supposed a guide update in standby? Suppose not in every standby? Probably after every X hours/days? This should probably be configurable anyway...

profile.country.GB.title
spizzz
Explorer

Model: KDL-43W756C

Hi, I had turned off the Automatic Updates since several months (as my TV was working well and I wanted to avoid any updates that could break something) and I turned it on last evening for the Marshmallow update. The TV completed the OTA update, but to my disappointment it was not the Marshmallow update; I am now on PKG3.533.0108EUA. Will the Marshmallow update also come OTA in the next days? If yes, I can wait for it. Otherwise, should I follow the USB method? Any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot in advance!

profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

I would be tempted to wait a bit longer. There are known issues with the
latest update which seem to affect 43" models like ours. I'm keeping auto
updates turned off for a bit longer, let's wait for the dust to settle.
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

considering that you have 43" version I would strongly advise to turn off updates and also not doing it via USB. Just look at master thread with blinking lights and you'll see why.

faheemrazzaq
Explorer

I have upgraded my 55xd9305 yesterday and it proved to be a bad move. Since then a lot of judder specially on 4K stuff from Amazon and YouTube. It settles if left alone for couple of minutes. Clicking a button on remote such as volume or action will again introduce judder. I also noticed that while watching some 4K HDR on Amazon, the sound was out of sync with video. Also overall the whole system appears to be slowed down. I hope a fix comes soon.

profile.country.GB.title
duck210
Explorer

When and How can I do this

profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

An excelent review, even if I personally am a bit more happy since 6.0:

The Sony Android TV Experience (Marshmallow/2017)

Found on flatpanelshd.com, written by @Kuschelmonschter

(Thanks to @Anonymous for letting me know about the writer)

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @vispen74

That review link you posted is not from 'flatpanelshd' it is infact @Kuschelmonschter  :slight_smile:

Cheers