Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Tottaly agree. I only have basic broadband 7mb and Netflix streams perfectly fine on full 1080p each time.

The later 2016 models were fitted with quad core CPU and cost around the same price.

Sony new these problems would happen so all of us left with 2015 C models are just left to deal with these issues second rate TV I have a KD-43X8307C.

I'm never buying another Sony TV again and going back to either Samsung or LG in a few years.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
profile.country.RS.title
bbrks011

So, are at least the "Google Play stoped working " bug and other similar bugs fixed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marcd51

If memory serves me right - you was one of the biggest defenders of Sony in this thread.  What happened? 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Newer models might have quad core, but only Cortex A53 which is half as fast as A17 on older models at same clock speed. So newer models have twice as many cores, but each core is half as fast, resulting in similar performance. A17 is a so-called big core of the previous generation, while A53 is a little core of the new generation.

Newer models pretty much suffer from the same issues as old ones.

Those MediaTek SoCs are indeed a pain, not only performance wise, but also stability wise, as drivers are flaky as hell. There is nothing premium about it. It is just cheap crap.

Some people say that Amazon improved for them with new version, some say it is as bad as before. Amazon app version is still the same (4.1.70). This shows clearly that Sony does not have the system under control.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Quinnicus,

Yes I was a big diffender to Sony sevral months back.

As Sony seemed to take my concerns alot more seriously.

When I reported the issue regarding Hardisk being Un-mounted and HDMI ARC function control back 15th May.. Sony were calling me up almost every other day I was quite impressed this happend for almost 2 weeks.

I throught finally have the got message after their massive screw up back in February and then another update to fix all the issues back in April.

So all looked great and I was liaising with Sony and trying out different things so I was very impressed and Sony seemed to have learned to give a greater quality customer service.

So I throught.... Suddenly after 2 weeks I herd nothing for over 3 weeks.

I then called up their UK London office again tech to find out an update and get the person that had dealt with it before was not available.

This is were is starts going down hill. So going through all the problems again with another new customer repersentive with the notes.

All I get is '' it's been investigated '' bare in mind this had been going on for just over a month.

From then on I never got any real calls back and it went from one person to another and no real answers.. And its been investigated.

From then on I was feeling like I was been passed on and passeed on and no one realy seemed to care I was starting to get frustrated and annoyed.

Meanwhile I have a brand new HD that I can't use now I want to use it as internal it's been in the cupboard for months now.

I also have a fairly expensive Denon AV Amplifier that I have to keep HDMI cable disconnected after I switch off the TV and it keeps sending a signal to the amp to come on and off randomly during the day.

So yes after being very patient and working with Sony I just want to use my TV and get to use it 100% not bits here and bits their.

All their software updates now don't do very do very much or part fix problems.

Sorry I spent all this money back September 2016 of last year with John Lewis Oxford Street and I expect to have fully functional TV.

So as a consumer rights act 2015 states.

I have spent so much of my time effort and stress now and Sony just can't be bothered in my view.

All they seem to do is give no real announcements and just stick a minor software update and that's it.. And I'm expected to be happy with that no.

This is only part of the struggle iv had and this TV is only just over 6 months old now.

As TM would say ''enough is enough''!!!

John Lewis have stepped in and put real pressure on John Lewis and I for one can't praise John Lewis enough for all their help so far.

If Sony can't be bothered to give some form of good will gesture this afternoon John Lewis are going to take the next step.

I'm not saying that both LG and Samsung have their own issues but with past experience my self matters have been delt with with in a month at the most.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Marcd51

I understand where you are coming from.  It is incredibly frustrating on the amount of issues/bugs on these TVs.  Even though I have setup a bugs/issues list - there is far more than I could ever put on there.  All those little niggly things too.  The Denon and ARC issue is also not the first time ive heard it either.

The problem becomes that Sony are terribly slow in investigating issues.  Never mind rolling out fixes.  In defence of Sony here (sorry), its no point contacting someone constantly when there is simply no updates or extra information.  Upon saying that however, a regular email (i.e. weekly/monthly) wouldnt hurt, just to say that its still on-going and not forgotten about.

Unfortuately I dont know how I can help you either on this.  I can request Sony contact you back, but that is all I can do.  But you already have contact details and the ball rolling as such, hence would be pointless I think.

Sony does teach one patience.:thinking:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

In my opinion Sony is totally incapable of action. They have a shortage of people with the required technical skills. This goes from management over developement to QA and support. There is simply no money around. What Sony has been doing lately is abandoning features that cost money, while putting more bloat- and adware on to earn money, ***** people off more and more...

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Quinnicus,

As John Lewis stated Sony are a massive company so that's not an excuse at all in 2017 with also social media as a possible aid to inform their customers.

Nope I did not get anymore emails or calls.

So Sony not having enough personal not my problem to be honest they are a very rich company at the end of the day.

If LG Samsung and Panasonic as their competitors it's both shocking and shameful at their customer relations service.

John Lewis gave me a good will gesture money back on one of my cards just a small amount as an apology from their end they did not have to do that and in fact their finance department phoned me up the same morning to give me that money on one of my bank cards.

So if John Lewis can do that the same morning why in the hell Sony being a massive and rich company can not just exchange my TV out of will gesture get me.

Even their own people can't understand why they have take so long to sort my issues out and John Lewis just don't get it and their own words are shocked by this response from Sony.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sony is neither massive nor rich. Those days are over. They have slowly been drifting off into oblivion the last couple of years. Probably their own businesses that are intact are semiconductor and PlayStation.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

New update has improved things slightly. HDMI ARC is still broken through my Pioneer VSX-1131, works for a couple of streams then breaks and no sound. Forced in to using optical, yet another lead....

Amazon is improved, but it still stutters and lags a bit but not as bad as before. Sound cuts out and stutters if I bring up a menu, again not as bad but still there. The update was a pleasant suprise but there is still work needed, Amazon need a new app and for it to be available in the app store.