Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Amazon prime is the same amount of stuttering for me. I don't mind all the mess created when trying to change picture settings while running Amazon prime video but having stuttering streams on a 76MB connection is ridiculous. As other apps such as Netflix etc work without any issues streaming 4k I have to wonder if it's actually amazon that's at fault really. Historically their app has always been dreadful at providing a stable stream. 

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

as long as they don't fix USB related stuff (and don't broke passthrough in the process) I really don't care about updates. Or should I call them downgrades since my TV was A LOT MORE useful on lollipop. Now it just a nice monitor while Mi Box is doing the rest. THX SONY.

profile.country.GB.title
iOllivier

May I suggest you to format your HDD with ExFAT file system instead on NTFS?

Suported from Win7 up. Android tv support it too.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

An update from me firstly it's great.. To here that someone else also has an issue with HDMI ARC function.

Secondly I find it totally unexceptable that Amazon app has not been completely fixed it's just not good enough for it to be ''sort of fixed '' and ''stutters a little less '' for crying out loud as I have the same issues! .

Thirdly Amazon app badly needs updating it's the only app that does not appear in Google play?? .

My so called phone call back as promised by Sony tech UK between 14pm and 16pm never happened.. Surprise surprise!!!!

I then called John Lewis back and their college put me on hold while the got through to Sony to find out what the hell is going on.

He wantted to speak to a manager and more or less wad fobbed off. He even found it strange and frustrated 😤.

John Lewis are going to pursue this much c further as clearly as per ''consumer rights act 2015'' Sony have to offer a repair of replacement and Sony are now in clear breach of this.

As of this afternoon I have been and called in contact with ''BBC Watchdog live'' programme which kicked off a new series yesterday and I have emailed them my case hopefully they will now get in contact with me and see if I can kick off alot more about this.

If Sony does not want to bother with me or even a manager can't talk to a John Lewis representive then hopefully the BBC getting involved about Sony shocking customer service will wake them up.

It would be a great help if more of you email it Wright in about this.

In 2017 this sort of service from a large company is juat not good enough.

I don't care and frankly not my problem if Sony have or don't have enough staff to sort these problems out.

Iv brought their product which clearly does not meet the needs it's described to do despite now 3 software updates and Sony clearly have not offered me anything which is now negligence so that now with proof that they promised to phone me today and John Lewis had noted this does shows the don't care.

By doing this they have effected my consumer rights! as the TV is only 10 months old.

If you Google consumer rights act of 2015 last amended it clearly states what my rights are and wrights of the manufacturer so this is were hopefully BBC Watchdog comes in...

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi thanks for the tip regarding exfat format I new of this a while back.

I'm not going to do that as I should be able to plug in my Seagate 500 USB 3.0 and the TV should handle it.

This is down to Sony to sort out or send a press release out for us to read with clear instructions why the hell should I have to take special measures because they use a badly implementation version of Andriod TV let them do the hard work.

I did not buy my TV to make special arrangements formatting my Hardisk because Sony can't be arsed with its customers.

I'm goona wait an see from John Lewis now.

But yes thank you for the tip.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@iOllivier wrote:

May I suggest you to format your HDD with ExFAT file system instead on NTFS?

Suported from Win7 up. Android tv support it too.

and that will solve exactly what? I still can't write to the disk. And it will still remount itself with some random character in front of the disk ID and will be invisible to any app that expect it to be the exact same ID as always.

MM didn't bring any new feature that would justify formatting my drives that worked just fine before. And doing that just because SONY and Mediatek have no idea about SW development is a wrong way. Particularly because that won't change anything. I tried all that with one 64GB stick when MM came out and I realized that I can't write to disk no matter what I do.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi

Anyone installed-tested the v3.885 firmware on 2015 and early 2016 models?

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

yes I've installed it on a x8005c. It hasn't really done anything I can see
in improvements but it hasn't knackered anything either.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MiCal1967 wrote:

Hi

Anyone installed-tested the v3.885 firmware on 2015 and early 2016 models?

Yes I have.  I agree with Garymjh above - cant see any real difference (positive or negative).  

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Thanks both for info