Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.en_GB.title
zaim7890

NicolaiLarsen91 wrote:

Same EPG, same settings UI, same menu UI (looks exactly as 5.1.1) no audio-passthrough or 3D in apps - or more specific: PLEX (still transcodes even though i've enabled passthrough in the plex app) and still bad lip-sync and humming/screeching sounds when enabling passthrough in KODI. Shockingly, the stock "Sony Video" app still cant play/passthrough DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD sound... cant say I'm pleased!

I resat my tv before installing the update, resat after and restarted several times after all updates from Play Store - but at least the overall speed in menus is better and no blinking/missing sound when entering EPG and a volume bar that doesnt fit 1/5 of the screen

Unfortunately that's not a Sony issue, its a limitation of HDMI ARC, no TV is capable of passing through HD audio, it should however be able to pass through standard DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Is it best to do a factory reset before or after installing the update? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Garymjh wrote:

Is it best to do a factory reset before or after installing the update? 

After updating

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

It's the same as before. But we knew that already because MM didn't change that on that other brand that uses ATV. I'm not sure is it SONY or MTK, but we do have API 23 now and that is worthless.

Still no folder support in Video app also :slight_frown: The only way to manage the mess is still to have hidden folders with stuff that you don't want to see at one and only possible screen.

The only worthy new feature is the ability to expand storage but that was marketed as feature almost two years ago so...... And TV is faster. But again, that was something that should have happen a long time ago.

profile.country.GB.title
sirteuk
Explorer

After my android 6 update my TV is now stuck in bootloop for the last 2 hours. Any help would be appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

@kinggo01 wrote:

[...] but we do have API 23 now and that is worthless. [...]

I'm not Android dev so I don't know what it means in practice, but it was API 22 in 5.1 and now it is API 23, so something changed.

profile.country.GB.title
Soundizer
Explorer

Why should we do a factory reset after installing the new firmware?

profile.country.GB.title
Soundizer
Explorer

Has Sony Support advised we should do a factory reset after installing new firmware?

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

API 23 is Android 6 Marshmallow API......why is this worthless? It's exactly what it should be.

API 24 is Android 7

API 25 is Android 7.1

I updated my TV, not done much with it, but it seems a lot faster in menus, On screen volume bar is at least 1000% better as it no longer blocks subtitles.

I haven't factory reset, in fact, I haven't factory reset my TV in the last 14 months of owning it as I appear to be in the 1% of people who have had pretty much zero problems with their set.

Hope everybody enjoys the update !

profile.country.GB.title
Soundizer
Explorer

I am waiting for Sony to call me back as i would like to know if factory reset is advised. It will mean having to re set all picture mode settings and more. Rather time consuming.