Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Hi,

one more info regarding the Marshmallow Update:

Information the Android TV software update - Direct Headline quote...

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Good news.

The only thing that keeps me aware is "Perform the update on your own responsibility."

We need the Updates or not? If Sony suggests that we need them, that they are critical, that they have improvements and benefits, if Automatic Updates is enabled BY DEFAULT on our TV and etc and etc, then this is not our responsibility.

Just try to be more consistent Sony Ladies and Gentlemen. More than one year of issues and promises and delays, is too much.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

MiCal1967, you are completely correct. Why is it our responsibility if we want to flash an official OS update? 

Now, if I was flashing a custom rom on my TV, I would take full responsibility for it, if I ever released said rom, I would also put a massive disclaimer on it warning people too, but when I'm one of the world's largest manufacturers of official Android phones, tablets and now Android TV, putting the onus on the end user is ridiculous. 

profile.country.IT.title
stef_mir
Explorer

Still no update here in Germany on X85C.

Looking forward to it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 'stickied' this thread to try and encourage forum members not to post a new thread on this issue.

At current:

Sony UK/EU have not stated when they will be releasing Android 6 (Marshmallow) for 2015 and early 2016 TV models

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

So, North America, South America and Asia has the update, so when do we get it exactly? Sony's Playstation division treats their European customers like second class citizens, it's starting to look like their TV division does too. 

profile.country.GB.title
Will_cain

Reading this begs the question should I switch auto updates off until some other mug has sorted out problems that it appears Sony almost expect.

PS is it just my monitor or is is grey on grey a crap colour scheme?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Will_cain wrote:

PS is it just my monitor or is is grey on grey a crap colour scheme?

One gets used to it.  Same with the increased font size when quoting.

SuneKuntz

Having paid what for me as a student is a lot of money for a tv, I must say that I'm a little upset that Europe hasn't received the Marshmallow update yet - or at least a timeframe for when we can expect it. I'm entirely satisfied with my TV, but some minor things like the speed at which the EPG loads, I hope will be fixed with the update. 

profile.country.DE.title
capober

Totally agree.... over here in Germany, no informations about the relase date yet.