Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Guys.. If you want the update now then you have to do the update via USB stick.

Otherwise the automatic rollout will commence untill the end of May as Sony are doing it in waves or sections of EU at a time so it's your choice.

Don't forget as iv mentioned before on a recent post this update also has......

April sercurity patch level! Now

One of the biggest advantages to having Andriod OS is Google always updates sercurity patch levels almost each month now or every other day my Xperia has April as well.

Okay it's nothing to jump up and down at but its very important or crucial with how Andriod OS works and preforms.

This is one of the very reasons I love and decided to have Andriod TV over Tizen or Firefox and even webos. For me anyway.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
chbjerg

What on earth are you on about. You say that security patches is the reason you chose Sony Android... You do realise that if this Marshmallow update is not breaking peoples tvs - it is very likely the last update you will ever see, and the only reason it is out, is because Sony apparently hired student developers for the Android TV department

Just because Google always updates security patches, doesn't mean your tv is ever going to see these

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi it's one of the reasons I picked Andriod OS over the others I have always loved Andriod from day one.

Not interested how or whom get the fixes done as long as my TV works to what I expect it to and Sony gets on with it then that's fine by me yes they have taken forever but I learnt to deal with that. If my tv had ''bricked'' I would have dealt that with John Lewis and Sony my self but it did not. So I moved on..

At the end of the day it's Sony on the label Sony name at stake so thats down to them how they deal with customers and I in fact Spoke to Sony tech UK on several occasions regarding their conduct with this matter.

And if you are not happy that everyone has that choice to never buy a Sony product agian.

To be honest so far I'm pretty happy Andriod will always have issues and bugs that's it's nature so does Windows operating system nothing different their I work in IT as my job so use to this all the time.

Hope your update went well....just stay positive and if your not happy complain take it to Sony or ofcom or BBC watchdog as some people are.

We live in a democracy....Happy viewing

profile.country.RO.title
silverhoe1968
Explorer

Marcd51, I've followed your steps, my TV copied the file from the USB stick, it had that black screen with the plug which showed that it was installing the file, andit rebooted and it did not made the update.

I do not have the February initial Marshmallow.

I also reseted to factory settings and made the process again. It doe not make the update.

I do not know what to do.

The TV works fine, no problems, but with the older version 3.533.

What do you think?

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@silverhoe1968

interesting...... I was on MM before and updated went perfectly at first try with just waking TV from standby. But I know a guy here who copmlained about the same issue as yours, he can't upgrade from v3.533, TV just restarts and that's it.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi very sorry to here that. It took me a few times when I did the update on mine.

I had used USB 3.0 port first hand and it kept ignoring the new update so I tried normal USB port at the very top of the TV and it worked.

It copied the new firmware update to the TV then it updated and then optimised all the APPS.

It then rebooted and went into BBC1 fine. I checked to make sure firmware upgraded okay by going to help menus and it shows the firmware version.

But for me I upgraded in February to the Marshmellow with out any problems at that time.

I then did a factory hard reset updated the apps set my tv up and that's it.

I don't think it makes much of a difference if you format the USB stick to FAT32 or NTFS.

Otherwise give Sony tech a call tomorrow and they can help you over the phone.

Lastly just keep ''auto update '' switched on and wait for the auto update to kick in when it comes to your region.

Another questions just ask.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

once the update has been done successfuly this is what it should look like. 

Hi I just took these pictures of my tv KD-43X8307 2015 as this is what it should look and state once the update has been successful.

This is after updating back in February and then on Wednesday. It should not make a difference if you did not upgrade back in February as its a new PKG build number so tv should just upgrade the OS.

The trick is to insert the USB stick into the TV while it's on wait for it to ''fail to update from USB stick error message'' just serlect okay to cancel then select restart TV under ''settings '' then go to ''about'' and under about select restart.

It then just started to copy the file across to the TV and then updated from then on...

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

DSC_0282.JPGDSC_0283.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Has there been any word as to whether all the issues with the original update have even been addressed? E.g. The messed up aspect ratio on the video player. 

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor