Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
butcher33
Explorer

The root issue is old as the TV itself, so I dont think we ll ever get root access. 

As if the devs dont know what the ext drives are for... Godda*n, I m so angry for being misled for updating.

profile.country.RO.title
alineduard2001

@ultrablob wrote:

I have a 2TB external Hard-Drive connected to the USB3 port in my TV, copying files from my NAS to the USB3 connected drive works just fine with Total Commander, copied 35GB to it.

You have to format the drive you have connected to your TV as Internal Storage and then select to/let Android copy/backup data to it to work correctly as internal storage othervise you won't be able to copy files to it.

My mistake !!

You have right.I try it with 1Tb external hard drive and it work as you say.Strange thing ,..it was not possible with 64gb stick..

But now it work to write/delete edit on it

Ty pal!

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@butcher33 wrote:

The root issue is old as the TV itself, so I dont think we ll ever get root access. 

As if the devs dont know what the ext drives are for... Godda*n, I m so angry for being misled for updating.

Don't Sony have to let people have the Kernal on these android TVs?

I thought this was a rule of running android open sorce.

I'm still having problems changing HDMI inputs. I f I try to change from any HDMI to another I get a black screen

so I have to reset the TV using teh standby button.

profile.country.LT.title
lemuras
Explorer

I also can't use my 32GB USB stick (TV evaluates 28GB of real capacity and refuses to record anything from TV channels). Is there any logical explanation of this sony requirement for minimum 64 GB USD HDD/Flash drive? Can't record 45 minutes TV show without less than 64 GB HDD? C'mon Sony, you should solve this!

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

@newbix

Kernel sources and libs for bravia TV's can be downloaded here :

Bravia Kernel

BroderSalsa
Explorer

Just updated via USB followed by factory reset. Tv still crashing/rebooting at random. Most commonly When using bundled apps such as Netflix or turning on my ps4. Also dvb-s receiving with a Ca-module is a pain, it just does not work properly. Horrible tv software. X8005c.

ultrablob
Explorer

I just want to clarify so there is no missunderstanding,

I have Digital TV via fiber to a Tivo Box where it's connected in a fiber-lan connection, so I record TV on my Tivo Box, I don't record TV to my external hard drive connected to my XD9305.

My 2TB hard drive works fine with my TV deleting and copying files to it with Total Commander, probably works with other file management software too.

PROBLEM: When my TV goes into deep sleep it for some strange reason dismount my external hard drive.

Only way to fix this is to reboot my TV as many others have mentioned.

I hope SONY will fix this as soon as possible.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I have a variation on this usb thing. When I first turn the tv on it says
cannot recognise external hdd but ten seconds later it's fine. There's no
pattern or rhyme nor reason to these reported issues. No wonder Sony is
having a nightmare trying to produce a fit all update fix.
profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

The USB video app is abysmal.

Display and graphically amateur

usability also shocking 

need a nicer cleaner look with

thumbnails in wide screen wiew

length of show i.e. 42:32

full name i.e. Better Call Saul

resolution 1280:718

we won't get it but I'm hopeful 

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Guys , Question please ...

Under HDMI settings its at ‘standard’ setting I understand that changing it to ‘’Enhanced’ will up its ratting to 6GHz HDMI for 4K content ect if I am correct on that according to some sources in the internet .

When you switch it to HDMI enhanced from standard does this effect the internal apps I.e Amazon and Netflix or the TV performance at all .

And If I change the HDMI outputs from standard to enhanced to make that difference do I change all the HDMI inputs ???

I have a KD-43x8307C with new 3.85 firmware and all works perfectly .

Some advise please on this matter .....