Join now - be part of our community!

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

I just read about the upcoming Nougat update for (US?) sony TVs, for example the KDX8300D.

Any idea if this will also happen at the same time for the (UK?) XD83, and if so if this will fix the 5.1 issues?

Thanks!

346 REPLIES 346
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

"And that's the big no-no..."

"XD80 has the newer and more capable platform as XD85 despite same model year (D)"

How you want... But XD85 and XD80, both "D" (XDxx), are of two distinct platform, ATV1 and ATV2...

You are free not to beleve me...

Manolo

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You don't get the problem. Read my review and you probably will...

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

I do not get the problem anyway (I've read your review)... Maybe the develop for Sony > Android TV OS is SoC based... From here the difference for the separate upgrade release...

But I don't think this "Sony has been fooling people"

Manolo

DarkStreets
Explorer

From a customer perspective who has no clue to the release cycles from Sony, the only indicator when deciding between the already mentioned two models in my previous post, is the price. The price dictates the quality of the product. If Sony floats the market with two different platforms within a very short period of time, what chances do consumers have in deciding which product is superior or inferior!

I am really annoyed because I did not have a clue when I was picking my current TV at around September 2016 that it belonged to the ATV1 platform. The only indicator I had was it's price.

I really feel cheated with my purchase that has now a shorter life cycle because of the choice of platforms there were at the time of purchase. Have I made aware at the time, I would have chosen to purchase a TV that belonged to the ATV2 platform.

I probably would not buy any further Sony TVs in the future.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Well, I didn't expect anybody with a Sony avatar to admit failure anyway.

You can also read this thread. Even @Anonymous agreed that basing those models on different platforms was a major crime:

I have to agree with you, if the early 2016 models are not capable of VP9p2, then a massive screw-up would entail, and loads of unhappy customers too....

profile.country.GB.title
Therealsh

well said!

Same case here, previous tele was taken by Santa, not the other way around (Christmas even breakdown...), had in mind Android TV of course, and Sony (perceived quality...), did a forum search and read about the XD93 in all sort of places (incl. FlatpanelsHD). Good reviews, more expensive... bit more of edge, so decided to go for it... quick decision, 2 months later XE93 is out - by that's life...

Now I'm with a 6 months old TV from 2016 cycle (with one repair on its service book already), down the queue for OS updates...

For high/mid end product one might expect better support and front of the queue for updates... Disappointed.

And the future is not that bright either...

Nougat is not the end game here, Android O is probably the promise - for which ATV1 might not get ever closer probably ...

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

"Well, I didn't expect anybody with a Sony avatar to admit failure anyway."

This is the life... But when is necessary I fight Sony for the my right reason, is non this the case for me...

Manolo

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Well, I didn't expect anybody with a Sony avatar to admit failure anyway.

You can also read this thread. Even @Anonymous agreed that basing those models on different platforms was a major crime:

I have to agree with you, if the early 2016 models are not capable of VP9p2, then a massive screw-up would entail, and loads of unhappy customers too....

Thanks @Kuschelmonschter for dragging me into this :tongue_winking:

I am still standing by my comment that I made.  Sony is using the tick-tock method that seems to work with Intel for their CPUs - however in a end product environment and in the same year I should add, this is wrong.  Not only is it confusing to the average person (and even us too), it is also upsets the early adopters of the higher end models.  What Sony should have done (if using this model), is release the lower MediaTek SOC in the lower budget priced TVs. 

But to be frank - this is an arguement that I dont want to be involved in :vulcan:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bringing this thread back on-topic:

For those that have updated to Android 7.0 (Nougat) - I would be interested to hear your thoughts:

• What do you like
  • What dont you like
  • Any issues in installing
  • Any issues in the performance of the TV
  • Any bugs/issues at all?

Cheers

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Quinnicus schrieb:

But to be frank - this is an arguement that I dont want to be involved in :vulcan:

I still have to thank you for your honest opinion. Kudos given...