Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV on most 2018/2019 BRAVIAs END OF LIVE!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Android TV on most 2018/2019 BRAVIAs END OF LIVE!

Sony recently announced that they have no plans on updating BRAVIAs based on ATV2/ATV3 (MediaTek MT5891) to Android TV 9.0 Pie. This includes most models from 2017 and 2018 (like the famous X900E and X900F) and also some from 2019 (like the AG8 OLED). Find more about the matter here. It is really time we get active!

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Philips at least updated MT5890 to Oreo. Sony did not.

BTW Sony had to withdraw the Pie FW for MT5893. Just like any Update.... Marshmallow, Nougat, Oreo, Pie... Worst SW development ever! Nobody is reporting about that...

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Philips supporting the older platform doesn't seem so true (even if they provided also an hw upgrade that I should admit is a good thing)  https://toengel.net/philipsblog/2019/04/23/philips-neue-firmware-fuer-2014-2015-2016-2017er-tvs-mit-... 

And looking at the few blogs from philips owner it doesn't seem that Philips' Android implementation is any better than Sony (even CEC standard feature seems missing...)

@kinggo01 Mediateck chip are in practice the only SoC available for TVs. If you have in mind the power of other such as snapdragon keep in mind that they are worthy only for smartphone.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Check out changelog for Philips PUS7101, see here. This TV is based on MT5890. Philips indeed used other chipsets as well which do not get the update. MT5890 does. Not on Sony...

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

I know that mediatrash is the only SoC that is used on TV sets. And as much as I don't like them as a company for various reasons it seems that none of the partners from AndroidTV alliance is bothered with the fact that supplier, the only one, of the main part of their product suck and makes almost impossible for them to provide updates and bug fixes. And that's what actually bothers me the most. All of them are with them since the beginning and nothing has changed in that regard. While in smartphone scene thing have change for the better, when it comes to TVs it the same sad story like it was 4 years ago.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

So @kinggo01 why do you bother to still following the evolution of Android TV? There are plenty of different TV platform out there (ops if I remember well none will support any major upgrade release year after year, but it doesn't matter)

If I can give you also my point of you on the market, I think we should think about also the fact that a premium smartphone costs some 1.000 Euro for a 6" display while a premium OLED 55" can be bought now for almost the same price...

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

And that's exactly why I have all the right to criticize all this. Pretending that things are perfect won't really make them so.

And since I'm looking for a new TV, please, where can I get premium (whatever that means) 55" OLED TV for 1000€?

Hisense and Grunding are more than that. And "premium" EOL products from SONY are at least 1500 here.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Just have a look at internet I was referring to a Korean company not Chinese.  
Critics are always good but imho they should bring some solution not just saying do not use mediatek chip. Than even if I do not know directly how complex could be the oem work on android  tv surely sony development team is not so smart In doing it
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

How is end user supposed to provide a solution??? All we can do is point what's wrong and broken. And then those who can change something do nothing but ignore us. I'm not saying don't use mediatek (would be nice but not realistic for many reasons I'm aware of) but I'm saying push mediatek to support newer kernels and standard android APIs and other industry standards.

With ATV1 we all complained about lack of RAM and storage. 4 years down the road and our TVs still have RAM/ROM specs worse than 50€ phone. So, while 12GB of RAM is utterly pointless, the same goes for 2GB. Don't tell me that in 4 years they couldn't reach at least 4GB as standard with at least 32GB of storage. How complicated it is to add something that is phisicaly the same size and is supported by SoC.

Lack of any initiative to change the plaform for the better is what ***** me of more than the state that it is currently in.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

They did add up ram since last year (don't ask me why af9 had more ram than ag9 though :slight_smile:
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter  ha scritto:

Check out changelog for Philips PUS7101, see here. This TV is based on MT5890. Philips indeed used other chipsets as well which do not get the update. MT5890 does. Not on Sony...

@Kuschelmonschter  I had sometimes to investigated since this intrigued me, and it looks like PUS7101 (of which they should have sold two since there is no comment on the internet about it...= should have some hybrid versione of MT5890. If you look at the specification compared i.e to sony XD85 it has a quadcore vs dualcore SoC . So this could explain why it was supported by Philips and not by Sony (that later that year switched to MT5891 while philips no)