Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV on most 2018/2019 BRAVIAs END OF LIVE!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Android TV on most 2018/2019 BRAVIAs END OF LIVE!

Sony recently announced that they have no plans on updating BRAVIAs based on ATV2/ATV3 (MediaTek MT5891) to Android TV 9.0 Pie. This includes most models from 2017 and 2018 (like the famous X900E and X900F) and also some from 2019 (like the AG8 OLED). Find more about the matter here. It is really time we get active!

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@Kuschelmonschter  I had sometimes to investigated since this intrigued me, and it looks like PUS7101 (of which they should have sold two since there is no comment on the internet about it...= should have some hybrid versione of MT5890. If you look at the specification compared i.e to sony XD85 it has a quadcore vs dualcore SoC . So this could explain why it was supported by Philips and not by Sony (that later that year switched to MT5891 while philips no)

It is the same chip in my opinion. I think that Sony hides the two LITTLE cores from the OS (and maybe assigns them to some critical tasks). big.LITTLE configuration is BS for a TV as it only helps battery life on mobile devices and actually harms performance in many cases.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I don't really know how accurate are those information since manufacturer do not disclaim officially them. That was only a speculation  as they seems different (also if I remember well in ram specification...)

profile.country.GB.title
KD-65X8000G_Owner
New

My Sony KD-65X8000G has android tv 9, but the thing is it did not receive a single performance or bug fixing update after the major firmware update, and my Sony KD-65X8000G is starting to get really laggy, plus, when any tv, not just the X80G, gets outdated, it makes customers feel that they didn't buy a good product from a premium brand, and I have always been a Sony fan and a fan of sony's picture processing, upscaling, sound enhancement, etc. Many if not millions of people are complaining around the world about support, and sometimes about software updates that introduce bugs, the x900h as an example. Please Sony, don't ruin people's opinions about you, make them feel they bought something premium.