Join now - be part of our community!

Awful HDR quality in Netflix

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Awful HDR quality in Netflix

I have an 49XD8099 with Android 6.0.1. Simply put, to watch "The OA" from Netflix in HDR is unbearable. It's like if they added a wall of fog. Disabling the HDR the image improves considerably, still being a bit washed out. Other shows, when watched in HDR, don't look better either, so much that I decided to have a video mode with HDR off for Netflix only.

Too bad that doing so HDR gets disabled in all video modes (why? Just why?). Is it the Netflix app broken, The OA, or else? Also any chance to have only a mode with HDR disabled? Thanks.

60 REPLIES 60
profile.country.GB.title
Analogika

After doing a bit of a research, i found a solution 💪

Turn your subtitles to yellow with black borders 🙈

But you have to do it on your PC or phone (in your web browser)

Woila, the fog of crap is gone 💪💪

Screenshot_20190409_114555_com.microsoft.emmx.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Boycecheese
Explorer

I can confirm on the XE9300 55” it renders the program unwatchable. Played with the settings which helped a little bit Generally very very poor. Sort it out people

profile.country.NL.title
hija31

After doing a bit of a research, i found a solution 💪

Turn your subtitles to yellow with black borders 🙈

But you have to do it on your PC or phone (in your web browser)

Woila, the fog of crap is gone 💪💪

It helps only if I set font to semi trasparent.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I must says that the HDR quality of various new Netflix videos quite improved. I am not sure if the Android TV updates and/or the fact that I watch Netflix via Apple TV 4K helped as well. So, to me it isn't a big issue anymore.

profile.country.GB.title
stepbystep54
Explorer

solved ?????? the subtitle change dont solv anything ???
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

I still find blooming pretty bad in DV on my XG9005. I will try the subtitle changes though as white at the moment is an horrendous bloomy mess.
Tibisnailspa
Explorer

You are 100% correct!! I have finally realized the problem with your response! I have been searching for weeks, and as soon as I turned off my subtitles, everything was back to normal. Netflix needs to fix this problem, it is very frustrating!

profile.country.FI.title
erkkipj
Explorer

Thank you Analogika!

Bulbus29
New

I had very dark Hdr through using the tv's netflix app so I **solved** this by switching the hdmi to my PC and just used the netflix app on PC, job done, it now plays in HD so I'd imagine this would work for all external inputs, firestick, PlayStation, PC etc I Hope this helps

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Netflix are still streaming at half their normal bitrate in the UK. That could be a factor. There are some options in advanced settings still available to increase contrast, black levels, colour tone etc so may be worth trying