Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@romipat wrote:

totally peed off  with this BS.  So  as it stands we finally   have 4k content available  from our national broadcaster but our Sony's  won't beable  to acess it  SORT IT OUT SONY!!! Work  with the BBC to resolve this, wish id gone for a Samsung now which was also on my shortlist.

Yeh begining to wish I had gone for an LG. It is embarrasing and your point is totally valid. Sony UK seem oblivious to all of this. Seems from 2016 most models are covered for LG, Sony are just covered in no glory and man do I wish I had not gone with an Android TV now. Sony support is a  a right mishmash.

Although as BUG says, its all the BBCs fault, yeh right.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

if it was a bug it would efect all android tv's and devices so  that line from Sony  is total [edited by moderator to remove profanity] they are taking us for fools.

profile.country.GB.title
ajoysarkar

Might have to get a Roku streaming stick, looks like the only way to watch in 4k unless you have Virgin. Perhaps we should ask Sony to pay? 

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

ive got virgin  and a V6 box  how will i be able to  get the  hdr content (WC) using that ?

profile.country.GB.title
ajoysarkar

Virgin v6 and Roku streaming stick plus are both on the BBC’s list of supported devices, not sure how you access via Virgin

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yeh, looks like the Roku stick was just added, obviously they have a clue, unlike Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

My I player has updated again today it's odd because it seems the same I never monitored it before but it seems like they update it every other day

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

id it auto update or did you have to  kick  the update process off manually

profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

Are you guys using the ATV or the mobile android version? I moved to the UK and I don't have the iPlayer app. Found an APK for shield, but it doesn't work on my XD80. I am on UK play store, but iPlayer is not available there.

If anyone can help, please write back or send me a PM. Thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

I don't know how to update o player manually