Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yeh, I have had the same response.

profile.country.GB.title
speedyrite

What an absolute shambles...

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

Response from Sony:

With reference to your enquiry regarding BBC iPlayer, please be advised that your TV model supports BBC iPlayer in 4K by updating your TV’s software version using the below link:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xe90xx_x90xxe-series/kd-49xe9005/download...

For registration purposes please reply to this email with the 7 digits serial number located on the back of your device.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for you r enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Jasmine

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

Has anyone had this update OTA yet?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

I installed it manually via USB, no go. No test clips available. So as usual garbage from Sony probably why its not listed on the BBC site.

Point Jasmine to this site. She is just quoting features listed on the firmware.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/live-uhd

No 2017 Sony Android TVs.

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

So it may work but there are no clips available to test?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@mobilyuk wrote:

So it may work but there are no clips available to test?

I doubt it, BBC don't list it, 2018 XF9005 has the clips available at the moment apparently and is listed as supported. XE9005 doesn't. We can live in hope but I am expecting disappointment.

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

had a reply from bbciplayer on twitter and its the normal heres our list of supported tv's etx. nothing back from sony as of yet since this mornings reply and i get the feeling whatever i get back will be a check back in a while or something similar. getting rather sick of this. first we had to wait an age for android 7 now this rubbish. guess next time im looking to drop a few k  on a new set il have to have a long hard think about if i get another sony. 

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

I spoke to Sony Support this afternoon for a full 30 mins and was repeatedly told BBC iPlayer UHD HLG was only available on 4 different Sony TV ranges and the XE9000 wasn't one of them. I don't think she believed me when I told her far cheaper and older 2016 Sony TVs were compatible and went off to check. But she came back with the same response.

I then referred her to this link  -   https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00015236 regarding the very latest firmware upgrade, V6.5603. It clearly shows my TV, a 65XE9005, is one of the models it is available for. But more to the point, if you scroll down to where it says Previous Benefits and Improvements, it says 'The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update' followed by 'Introduces support for BBC iPlayer HLG HDR format (UK only).

Furthermore, if I go to the BBC iPlayer app, then Settings followed by Help, I see that the version of iPlayer on my TV is a Youview version that only has a resolution of 1280 x 720. So nothing like UHD.

Playing around in my TV settings menu, I've also found the following. If I view a digital tv channel (or iPlayer for that matter), then go into Picture Options  >>> Advanced Settings >>> Video Options, there is no HDR mode option available. However, if I have selected an HDMI input and take the same path, I get an HDR mode option with four different settings - auto, HDR10, HLG and Off. So my TV does apparently have the HLG firmware downloaded - it just doesn't seem to be available when a digital tv channel (or iPlayer) is the source.    

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yeh, Sony don't know their ass from their elbow and we the owners are left in the lurch.