Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

Haha, I've just noticed. Despite the support agent assuring me she would email confirmation of my contact and that it would be with me 'in a few minutes', well 5 hours later and there's no sign of it. I suspect the call back on Monday afternoon with an answer won't happen either. Sony really have become a byword for terrible service.

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

just sent a reminder to their twitter monkey after they said they would be looking in to it. total shambles from both sony and the bbc, cant believe the bbc has been messing about with this 4k trial rubbish since before the 2012 olympics internally and its still not up and running. but yet they have time to prat about with VR streaming. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@BigUglyGac wrote:

just sent a reminder to their twitter monkey after they said they would be looking in to it. total shambles from both sony and the bbc, cant believe the bbc has been messing about with this 4k trial rubbish since before the 2012 olympics internally and its still not up and running. but yet they have time to prat about with VR streaming. 

Yeh, the twitter agents just seem to be regurgitating the same "we'll let you know soon" which probably means hard luck.. 😕

What I find funny is the Sony representatives here just ignore it completely.

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

already said it on here but the way this issue is being "handled" is really changing my mind over buying another sony set in the future. i know its not all sony but if they could at least say if or when we may get support it would at least save a lot of the hassle but even that seems beyound them now. 

profile.country.GB.title
speedyrite

@BigUglyGac wrote:

already said it on here but the way this issue is being "handled" is really changing my mind over buying another sony set in the future. i know its not all sony but if they could at least say if or when we may get support it would at least save a lot of the hassle but even that seems beyound them now. 

Agreed.

Generally speaking I really like the XE9005.

I'm aware of the dropped frames issue but not overly bothered about it in practice (although I do believe that in principle Sony should either fix it via software if that's do-able or admit that they can't and then give customers the option to replace it *without* having to do the equivalent of the drunk driving test as per "The Man With Two Brains" film).

But this farcical 4K/UHD/HDR(HLG) shambles just takes the biscuit really.

Would very seriously have to think very very very hard about buying anything Sony ever again - and still probably wouldn't!

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@speedyrite wrote:

@BigUglyGac wrote:

Agreed.

Generally speaking I really like the XE9005.

I'm aware of the dropped frames issue but not overly bothered about it in practice (although I do believe that in principle Sony should either fix it via software if that's do-able or admit that they can't and then give customers the option to replace it *without* having to do the equivalent of the drunk driving test as per "The Man With Two Brains" film).

But this farcical 4K/UHD/HDR(HLG) shambles just takes the biscuit really.

Would very seriously have to think very very very hard about buying anything Sony ever again - and still probably wouldn't!

Yeh I am the same, I really like the TV (apart from the crappy OS) and the dropped frame thing, I am on the fence about. I think if this doesn't get sorted with respect to HLG/iPlayer I might start making a bigger noise about the frame drop issue.

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

What is the dropped frames issue?

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

The TV has had the relevant updates to allow HLG (HDR) content so I don't see what the issue is. Surely the ommission of the xe9005 is just an oversight? 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

I doubt it, we should be seeing this splash screen if supported, this is taken from an XF9005 (although the image is actually of the Roku player). The XF9005 apparently shows the same sceeen, we get nada.

IMG_3031A.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

It works on Roku boxes? Which Roku version do I need to buy to upgrade to UHD iplayer trial?