Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Not sure, i ddon' own one. It was being discussed on the AVForums.

Interestingly as pb pointed out, iPlayer was updated today, still no sign of UHD and in device it now says FHD.

IMG_20180604_204526094_LL.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

So I saw the Blue Planet II and Live Football trials on my KD-55XE9005 a week or so ago - Blue Planet catch-up material played back beautifully, but the football live loop failed almost every time after less than a minute.... except the last attempt which strangely survived about 20 minutes before suffering the same fate.

Nothing has appeared in either the production or Beta iPlayers since. I have updated the software to the latest via USB this evening but still nothing.

The only change I have spotted from this release so far is that the Android Security Patch level has increased to April 2018, and the Youview logo has changed to the latest version (even though it still uses the 'old style' menu graphics!).

I'm hoping beyond hope that there is a further patch for the live iPlayer UHD playback in this version and we are just waiting for the BBC to put us back on the whitelist. Incidently I guess that the 'FHD' in the iPlayer version description stands for 'Freeview HD'.

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

well iv had it with sony, guess i wont be buying another tv unless they change their support in a big fashion. my reply just a few mins ago from them on twitter. 

Hi, sorry for the delay. An update on the situation will be provided as soon as one becomes available. Thank you for understanding. ^Hesham

so in short like anyone else asking the go to responce seems to be "go away" bloody hopeless from a supposed major brand. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@BigUglyGac wrote:

well iv had it with sony, guess i wont be buying another tv unless they change their support in a big fashion. my reply just a few mins ago from them on twitter. 

Hi, sorry for the delay. An update on the situation will be provided as soon as one becomes available. Thank you for understanding. ^Hesham

so in short like anyone else asking the go to responce seems to be "go away" bloody hopeless from a supposed major brand. 

Yeh, seems to be the standard response, not looking hopeful. They will probably respond after the WC has finished. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

@copicke45 wrote:

So I saw the Blue Planet II and Live Football trials on my KD-55XE9005 a week or so ago - Blue Planet catch-up material played back beautifully, but the football live loop failed almost every time after less than a minute.... except the last attempt which strangely survived about 20 minutes before suffering the same fate.

Nothing has appeared in either the production or Beta iPlayers since. I have updated the software to the latest via USB this evening but still nothing.

The only change I have spotted from this release so far is that the Android Security Patch level has increased to April 2018, and the Youview logo has changed to the latest version (even though it still uses the 'old style' menu graphics!).

I'm hoping beyond hope that there is a further patch for the live iPlayer UHD playback in this version and we are just waiting for the BBC to put us back on the whitelist. Incidently I guess that the 'FHD' in the iPlayer version description stands for 'Freeview HD'.

I've updated to the latest firmware. The only 3 things I've noticed that are different are that the info banner now shows stereo for sound as well as dolby digital whereas before it just showed dolby digital. As I have a 2.1 soundbar setup this makes sense. Also the soundbar turns on much more quickly through ARC when I turn the TV on. Lastly HLG is showing in the picture options.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@mobilyuk wrote:

in the iPlayer version description stands for 'Freeview HD'.

Lastly HLG is showing in the picture options.

HLG has been showing in my picture options for a long as I can remember. Auto, HDR10, HLG. This has been available for me since I bought the TV last year, it didn't work then either with iPlayer. :slight_smile:

Are there HLG settings elsewhere outside of the HDR mode switch now?

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

@mobilyuk wrote:

Response from Sony:

With reference to your enquiry regarding BBC iPlayer, please be advised that your TV model supports BBC iPlayer in 4K by updating your TV’s software version using the below link:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xe90xx_x90xxe-series/kd-49xe9005/download...

For registration purposes please reply to this email with the 7 digits serial number located on the back of your device.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for you r enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Jasmine

had a responce from jasmine myself this morning after i emailed them in. 

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KD-65XD9305, we seek your kind patience as we have passed your case for further investigation and we will be sharing the outcome with you in the next 48 business hours.

Thank you for your enquiry.  

Yours sincerely,

Jasmine

lets see what words of wisdom i get, if any. 

profile.country.GB.title
speedyrite

Picked up a Roku Streaming Stick+ today. All set up on the XE9005. BBC iPlayer on the stick+ plays the UHD FA Cup loop very nicely and it looks great on the XE9005. If it works with the BBC's World Cup UHD trial, then that would be a bonus (but as it's not on the list for live UHD not hopeful). Have now binned off *all* the XE9005's built-in apps and deleted the few apps that I had downloaded from the Google Play store. Just planning to use the tv 4K and the stick+ for everything we need from now on. The XE9005 is now just acting as a UHD capable display screen. Will never buy a Sony TV ever again!

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

@BigUglyGac wrote:

@mobilyuk wrote:

Response from Sony:

With reference to your enquiry regarding BBC iPlayer, please be advised that your TV model supports BBC iPlayer in 4K by updating your TV’s software version using the below link:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xe90xx_x90xxe-series/kd-49xe9005/download...

For registration purposes please reply to this email with the 7 digits serial number located on the back of your device.

Thank you for you r enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Jasmine

had a responce from jasmine myself this morning after i emailed them in. 

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KD-65XD9305, we seek your kind patience as we have passed your case for further investigation and we will be sharing the outcome with you in the next 48 business hours.

Thank you for your enquiry.  

Yours sincerely,

Jasmine

lets see what words of wisdom i get, if any. 

JaaniJa has been busy today, she sent me exactly the same email!! I await a detailed response in 48 hours.

I would encourage all non compatible TV owners to email Sony!

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

What email address are you using?