Join now - be part of our community!

How can I force landscape orientation for apps in Sony TV

profile.country.GB.title
bruno.miguel.leal
Explorer

How can I force landscape orientation for apps in Sony TV

Hi all,

I bought a 55XE8596 and I've installed an app that I couldn't install from Google store. Now it loads in portrait mode instead of landscape mode. Anyone knows how can I force the landscape mode in the TV since Screen settings are disabled in the TV?

Thanks.

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
bruno.miguel.leal
Explorer

That's not the point. If I was going to limit myself to do what Sony wanted I would have probably bought a Samsung TV and keep using my old Android TV box.

I bouth this TV because it's Android based and Android gives me the opportunity to expand my user experience. Maybe not with Sony I can see now...

If I can use properly this Android application in my Android TV box why is Sony blocking me of doing the same in the TV I just bought?

profile.country.GB.title
bruno.miguel.leal
Explorer

Moreover, the app runs ok in Sony TV...it starts in portrait mode but as soon as I choose the channel it changes to landscape...it's just really annoying that the initial interaction needs to be with my neck turned to the left...

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You bought it for the wrong reason then. Mobile and TV are different form factors with different business models. It is primarily Google who is enforcing that.

There might still be a hack for you, see here.

profile.country.GB.title
bruno.miguel.leal
Explorer

Hi again.

First no it's not Google who is enforcing anything. Android is the basis OS and then each brand change the OS to what better suits them (or so they think). It's the same approach in TVs as in mobile phones.

Second independently of the different business models it's the same basis and it's not up to Sony to restrict users like this. I don't think it's a good business model for Sony as I'm really not happy and will think twice next time I buy Sony related products (I have plenty - e.g. I use Sony Xperia mobile phones and Sony cameras for years now).

Finally, many thanks for the link as finally you understood what I was searching in this thread. Unfortunately I had already found that other thread and this TV doesn't allow that apk to be installed (I really can't understand why). I can install multiple other apk apps, but this one I can't have access to button INSTALL in ES Explorer... 😞

Thanks,

Bruno

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You could have found so many things, if you just googled, like this YouTube video showing another orientation app.

Which Android TV box allows you to set orientation? Mi Box and SHIELD do not.

profile.country.GB.title
gcac2828

Orientation for apps.

I use android tv fire stick & Android ABOX to side load apk's and I do use an Orinantation apk.

I have also run the same apk's on our Sony Android.

Go to youtube.com search filelinked his gives instructions how to install filelinked. 

Once filelinked installed enter 22222222 then PIN is 4754

You will now see a long list of apk's and Orinintation is included to run and install. 

profile.country.GB.title
bruno.miguel.leal
Explorer

Of course I came accross that youtube video and it didn't work...again Sony TV doesn't allow me to install that app.

profile.country.GB.title
bruno.miguel.leal
Explorer

Thanks gcac282.

I'll try that later today!

KR,

Bruno

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Whenever the "install" button was grayed out, I opened the ACTION MENU once which most of the time activated the button.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You still haven't commented on which box has the orientation setting that you just talked about...