Join now - be part of our community!

KD-49XF9005 / STR-DN860 / UBP-X800 - Amp defaults to TV when I switch on BD player

profile.country.GB.title
mihayne51
New

KD-49XF9005 / STR-DN860 / UBP-X800 - Amp defaults to TV when I switch on BD player

I've just upgraded my TV to 4K HDR (KD-49XF9005). When I connected it to my AV Amp (STR-DN860), the only difference to the previous non-4K setup is that I now need to use the twin-HDMI output from the BD player (UBP-X800) in order to get HDR to work (ie. separate audio to the Amp and Video to the TV). However, whenever I switch over to watch a movie, the TV switches to the BD/DVD input for the picture, but the Amp switches over to TV for audio. I can only assume this has something to do with the fact that the Amp and TV are connected via the ARC HDMI, but is there a way to resolve this and get the Amp to detect the audio input from the BD player?
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @mihayne51,

Welcome to the Sony Community! I have a few questions or tips that might help us find a solution together. Just first make sure you are on the M29.R.0476 revision firmware for the DN860.

• Is the reason why you direct the audio directly from the X800 to the DN860 because you want to retain the lossless audio formats from the Blu-Rays?
    I ask this because I suppose you know that your TV can pass-through both Dolby Digital and DTS compressed audio formats. This means you could opt for either of these formats when playing back a blu-ray movie on the X800, then push the signal through HDMI first to the TV then from there to the DN860 through the ARC link. You will then retain both 4K HDR and 5.1/7.1 multichannel surround sound.
  • In the scenario you described what happens when you select the BD/DVD input as a final step on the DN860?
  • In the scenario you described what happens when you set HDMI OUT to OFF using the remote HDMI OUTPUT button as an initial step on the DN860?

Keep us posted.

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
mihayne51
New

Hi Dutchice, Thanks for the reply. I will check the firmware when I get home, but it has the latest version as far as I'm aware. In answer to your questions: * Yes, I'm keen to retain the best sound quality possible. When I looked at the specs of the TV, it said the ARC channel only outputs sound in 2 channel stereo, which does seem odd for a £1k+ TV, but am I mistaken on this? * When I first switch on the BD player, the amp will switch to BD/DVD, but when the TV switches over the amp then changes itself to TV. I can then change it back manually, so the setup does work, just not as conveniently as I'd like. Also, if I change the disc, the amp will go back to TV again. Seems strange as I had understood that when sending BD audio via HDMI 2 on the player, the sound no longer went via HDMI 1. If that's the case, what is being sent to the amp via ARC? * I'll have to try this tonight and get back to you. Out of interest, what would this tell you? Thanks again. M
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Just to clarify a misunderstanding perhaps. You have read the specs correctly, but that refers to 2 channels of uncompressed linear PCM streams. In other words, you can not send for example 6 channels of uncompressed audio (the lossless formats that you are after) through the ARC link. But compressed audio formats will surely be passed through by your TV over the ARC link. The only thing that you will be required to do is to select those audio tracks (Dolby Digital AC3 or DTS) from the disc menu before starting to playback your movies.

As you probably have explored yourself, there are various ways on how to solve your problem. It always comes down to what you find most favourable. I believe the 3 options I suggested will all solve your problem. You could also opt to disable HDMI Control in the AMP menu, that would resolve all the wrong automatic input switching all together.

But unless you have true high quality speakers designed for Hi-Res audio you will not be able to distinguish between compressed and lossless audio formats. Only an audiophile could and even then, not with 100% accuracy. So most probably option 1 is the most convenient option for you. At least until you upgrade to an HDR certified AMP of course.