Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55XD9305 BREAKS DOWN FREQUENTLY

profile.country.GB.title
pauthomp64
Explorer

KD-55XD9305 BREAKS DOWN FREQUENTLY

I purchased the 55inch Sony KD-55XD9305 with a 6 year warranty in November 2016 from Richer Sounds in the UK and Since then it has broke down

3 times with same fault ie no power to tv completely dead. 1st time 24/4/2017 took 22 days to fix due to DPS board on back order. Fix took by engineer took 30 minutes when part arrived. 2nd time 14/7/2017 again same fault no power and new DPS board took over a week to source again fixed by engineer in 30 minutes. 3rd time same fault no power 25/7/2017 this is 5 weeks since last fault. DPS board replaced again and also another fault on the AC adaptor has occurred. The engineer has ordered a new AC adaptor from Sony and i an still waiting as i write this on 3/9/2017. I have requested a new TV from Sony to replace the current one and i am still waiting a response from the Sony escalation team promised on 5/9/2017. Has anyone else experienced this level of breakdown on this model and how was it resolved. Sony must know about this fault on this model and need to do something special for me. Paul Thompson UK

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
MiteBe
Explorer

Hi, I've got a KD-49X8305C and this failed with a similar problem after about 18 months. Cost was £300 to fix which Sony (eventually) agreed to pay one third of (less shipping), which was just about acceptable. I couldn't believe it had failed so quickly. I have lots and lots of Sony equipment and nothing has yet failed apart from this TV.

I think it proves that old addage that they just don't make things like they used to. But then again the relative price is now a lot cheaper, so I suppose we can't have it both ways.

But still, it's so dissapointing to have a fault so quickly on something with SONY written on it. Build quality is one of the reasons lots of people buy SONY.

MB

profile.country.GB.title
pauthomp64
Explorer

My TV is less than a year old cost £1600.00 GDP and would you believe today 16th September 2017 a further fault has occurred. The TV still works but a new fault has developed ie 2 lines running from right to left approx 2 millimetres apart 140mm from the top of the screen across the picture. Its Saturday so no Sony Support, I have emailed Sony with the new fault details and a photo of the screen requesting that they contact me urgently at start of business Monday 18th September, lets see how they respond this time.

profile.country.GB.title
pauthomp64
Explorer

Finally at last Sony have replaced the KD55XD9305 (2016 model) with a replacement KD55XE9305 (2017 model) and i have the new TV up and running. After 6 months of complaining about the XD9305 being not fit for purpose and breaking down again Sony agreed to replace it but it wasnt a straightforward process. THe last breakdown they kept asking me to try different things ie factory reset which i did and still the screen was faultly. Then i contacted Sony again with all the fault history and without hesitatation agreed to replace with XD9305, I insisted that i wanted the 2017 model and they agreed. It took two weeks from the agreement for the new TV to arrive (on the 27th September 2017) and they collected the old TV the same day. Sony  did follow up by telephone after i received the new TV to see if everything was OK. Up to the date ( 11th October 2017) the new TV  XE9305 appears to be working fine. What was annoying though was that the wall mount bracket supplied with the old XD9305 TV could not be used with new XE9305 TV for wall mounting, I had to go out and buy a new VESA compatible wall mount bracket and re drill the wall. 

Hi

Interested to hear your ordeal. I have the exact same model with exactly the same fault which has now occurred for the third time.  I bought it in December 2016 from Currys. The first time the fault occurred withinb 6 months of purchase. Repaired twice, each time it had to go away for repairs, and each time TV out of action for about 4 weeks. After the second repair the TV only worked for about 3 weeks. Now completely dead. My previous Sony TV worked without fault for 13 years!  I gather from Currys that manufacturers vary enormously regarding how many times each TV is repaired before they offer a replacement or money back. Some manufacturers (but not Sony)  tend to repair up to 4 times before replacing or reimbursing the cost.  Like you, I would now be looking to have it replaced by the 2017 model, or failing that a switch to Samsung QLED. 

profile.country.GB.title
pauthomp64
Explorer

Hi,

Your experience mirrors mine you need to contact SONY direct on 02073652810 they will ask for proof of purchase and a picture or the serial number from the back of the tv. Dont go through Currys they are not good with service. Exactly same problem i had eventualy after 3 breakdowns SONY ( call centre in Egypt) said they we will replace with 2017 tv KD55XE9305 (the xe says its 2017 model)  which they did only problem was my tv was wall mounted so had to change all fittings they told me they would supply anyway new tv came no new fittings and the service team took the old one i arranged for new mounting brackets at my expense because fed up with hastle and all good so far. Happy wife so happy life good luck let me know how you go on please

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Sounds like Sonys 5* after sales service is second to none albeit after a short battle!!