Join now - be part of our community!

Kd55x8509 Hdmi issue

Chroma28
Explorer

Kd55x8509 Hdmi issue

I have a Sony kd55x8509c android tv, I've had it just over a month now.
The setup is a sky hd box run to a hdmi splitter then one feed goes to the Sony and one to a Samsung tv
When both TVs are turned on the TVs display the same 1080i picture correctly, but if I put the Sony into standby mode the picture will stay ok,but every roughly 15 minutes the screen goes blank only for a split second then returns to normal then after a few seconds it does it again maybe once or twice. It then works ok for another 15 minutes but then the same cycle happens again. If I disconnect the hdmi lead from the Sony then fault does not occur.
If the Samsung tv is off and the Sony to is on the problem does not occur.
Before I got the android TV I had a lg and the Samsung and they works perfectly on the same system.
I can only put it down to the sony TV having activity on the hdmi port whilst in standby,is the same as when the device handshakes, it needs the hdmi routine to completely shut down until the TV is powered back on?

i have 3 hdmi splitters ( I've tried them all) and I can see by the LEDs on them that indeed it is the Sony hdmi port that's doing something whilst the TVs is in standby, the splitter shows the Sony seems to disconnect for a split second then reconnect thus the reason for a re handshake and this causes the Samsung to blank. 

I have rebooted the Sony and made sure it's the latest firmware, but no change. Google say it's a problem for Sony and Sony say to reboot the tv. 

94 REPLIES 94
profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

I received a phone call from someone within Sony last Friday who succeeding in doing nothing but make me in more angry, to the point where I lost it completely with him.

Instead of listing to my complaint and despite claiming to have read all the emails between Sony and myself and this Forum all I got was the Sony mantra of "we don't support splitters".

All questions of where is this stated in any documentation provided with these TV's to prove this was met with "I'm telling you it is" Well I drive a Bugatti, my wife is a size 8 and is so beautiful she makes super models look ugly, doesn't make any of it true!

All questions about the same problem with AV receiver's including Sony's own were ignored or again met with the chant of "we don't support splitters"  

Now I'm waiting, and I quote "a call from someone in technical" . Then what is the job description of all the CS rep's I've had to talk to if not technical? If they don't have the training / technical ability to understand these issues why have they wasted mine and everyone elses time for the last four months.

profile.country.GB.title
rayben1
Explorer

It has become obvious that Sony CS are non technical and are there to do nothing more than read stock answers off of a screen, that way Sony can say that they deal with customer problems, I have already gone down the route of directing them to this forum but got the same answer from them as everybody else. They are not the slightest bit interested in this problem and they are obviously doing nothing about it as we have had three software updates this year, none of which made any difference to the problem, in fact I would be happy to get no more updates at all if they would solve this problem, but that is not going to happen. After this non existant support from Sony, I will be looking at other manufacturers for my electronic goods in the future.

profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

Absolutely unbelievable, just had another phone call, not from the technical department as promised, if such a think even exists in Sony anymore, but from their complaints department. Must be the most overworked department on the planet! 

This time the excuse is they don't guarantee that their TV's will work with any other product other than Sony's own. So be advised don't buy a Sony TV if you expect it to work over HDMI with anything else........oh wait it doesn't even work with Sony AV receivers does it, as this thread proves which according to the previous phone call they have read.

Demanded to speak to someone in technical which I think is reasonable now after almost 4 months.

Does anyone have a email address / phone number for someone in UK that we can complain to about this ridiculous situation where we are forced to deal with people who do not have the wit to understand even the basics of the problems being reported on this Forum.

profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

Have had another phone call, but again still no confidence that the problem was understood and yet another request to put it all in writing again. The result was another email;

"We escalated your case and the higher technical team replied with the following:

- Just as the previous note: We don't support any kind of connection of Splitter as it could harm the device and cause on issue such as this one.

- Please use a direct connection with the Android TV connected to the digital box only.

If the issue persists after using the direct connection please reply."

As usual avoiding the question of that this problem exists even when directly connected with devices such as AV receivers.

Four months and they still can't understand the problem that these TV's are trying to handshake with any HDMI connected device when in standby to the detriment of that device's operation. 

profile.country.IE.title
Lucabeer
Explorer

Hello, joining in from Italy!

I stumbled upon this discussion by Googling... and it confirms what I have already found out.

To make it short... 43W809C TV, connected to Oppo BDP105D player. The Oppo is connected via HDMI to the TV, and the analogue stereo outputs are connected to an old fashioned (=completely analogue) amp for listening to music.

Whenever the TV is in standby, if I play an audio CD or some files from the USB drive with the Oppo... there is an audio dropout every about 15 minutes. If the TV is on, no audio dropouts.

Oppo confirms that the culprit is the TV, and that all recent Sony TVs exhibit this behaviour because when they are in standby they "disturb" the player with unnecessary HDMI handshake requests. So I must keep the TV on even if I only want to use the player to listen to some music with the headphones!!!!

This is completely absurd, and alas Oppo says that they cannot do anything about it because of how the HDMI standard works. They say (and knowing HDMI standard, I agree) that Sony must fix it.

I see the disheartening replies you got from Sony... and I got my fair share too. The last one was "Can you report the error message that appears on the TV?", after not in a single email I had mentioned any error messages! And, guys, don't you think it would be hard to read any error messages (even if there were!) since the TV screen is off when the audio dropouts happen?

Sony is being completely unprofessional. Quite simply, they should leave the option to turn the TV completely OFF by means of the remote. Simple as that.

PS I work as a software engineer... so I know what I am speaking about much better than Sony's useless reps do!

profile.country.NL.title
fokkek
Explorer

@Sony_NL this is beyond embarrassing tinyurl.com/zppsjoz

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Ive added this issue to the bugs and issues thread to highlight this problem snd hopefully force a proper response from Sony.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2173825#M43947

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

profile.country.IE.title
Lucabeer
Explorer

Thanks Quinnicus.

although I feel that the issue could be detailed slightly better in that thread.

It's not the Sony TV screen that goes blank (it couldn't be, since the TV is in standby and thus already blank): the blanking (video and/or audio) happens to the OTHER devices connected to the Sony TV in the same HDMI chain.

Thanks!

PS yesterday the Sony customer service called me, and I explained the problem to them. It took me quite a while, because they were not understanding it at all. The customer service guy sounded Romanian from the accent, so this of course didn't help because of the language barrier. Anyway, at the end he said that it's the first time someone has reported this issue to Sony Europe,,, which doesn't sound too promising to my ears.

PPS Anyway, apart from this I really love this TV. Once it's set correctly (backlighting 15 for a completely dark room or 30 for a dimly lit room, black level 30, no automatic contrast, Cinema Pro mode, etc etc) it has the best picture quality I have ever seen in a non-OLED LCD TV.

simwoods25
Explorer

Add me to the list . Same issue with the splitter and my other tv dropping out . Seriously doing my head in .

Not a happy chap !

simwoods25
Explorer

Lucabeer -

could you post your settings , would be interested in trying  them