Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50W809C - Satellite channels re-sorting themselves

tleddy
Explorer

KDL-50W809C - Satellite channels re-sorting themselves

This TV is such a disappointment. In addition to the problems already mentioned I've having an annoying problem with satellite channels which I wonder if there's a fix for.

The TV has scanned Astra 2E and picked up the free to air channels. No issues there.

I sort the channels in my order of preference. The interface for doing this is a bit clunky, but it works.

Now for the really annoying part. A number of days later, the channels will revert to their original position when first tuned in. I've no idea why it's doing this. I haven't rescanned the satellite or touched the satellite tuning or channel order in any way. It's done this on me about 4 times in the space of three weeks.

Anyone have any ideas if this is a fault or just a setting I need to change?

I've sent a message to Sony support but as expected have received no response.

71 REPLIES 71
profile.country.GB.title
RussellRay
Explorer

Hello Ivo-73

<<<

Well, it seems that after the latest software update the TV is now
working properly.
Does it happen to you as well?

>>>

I can't download the new update; it sems to have been placed on hold.
As and when it is released again, I'll try and let you know.

Best regards
RR

--

Note: Edited by Quinnicus to remove personal details

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @RussellRay

I think @Ivo-73 is referring to the firmware update for ATV 2 models.  As the new firmware 6.1004 HERE, refers to "Improved channel sorting"

Cheers

profile.country.IT.title
Ivo-73

The latest version I've downloaded is the 6.0,1 on my KDL-50W809C

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The problem is that the old sdb.xml keeps information about your region - country.

When importing this back to TV then the Country information goes back to your TV.

Unfortunately I had to scan again, export to USB and make a new list.

Did anybody try what happens when manually emptying the <Country> tag? I might try this because I don't really want to factory reset at the moment. There must be another way to change country...

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Kuschelmonschter

You know Satellite channels re-sorting and re-appearing themselves was my main issue since the beggining, December 2015. I never found a real solution to my problem and Sony could not fix. I don't know why. There were workarounds though. I have stopped working on this and leave channels "as is". At least they do not re-arrange themselves automatically.

I have not tried editing manually sdb.xml. Svansvan says you can with SDBEditor. There is no other way anymore since 123 Initial setup is missing from Settings.

Cheers

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I have not tried editing manually sdb.xml. Svansvan says you can with SDBEditor.

I will try that yes. One could still use a text editor too though as you already provided an example on how this should look like:

<Country>ABC</Country>

to

<Country/>

There is no other way anymore since 123 Initial setup is missing from Settings.

Factory reset is the other option which I don't want to do. Too bad they removed the 1-2-3...

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

I think that this is not necessary to edit the text.

You just click inside Country box, then delete GRC or DE or whatever and then Save file. If no success when opening again then re-delete click on another box e.g. preferred language and save again. Second try was OK for me.

Yes I know a factory reset is a solution but none of us wants this every time a problem appears

SDBEditor.PNG

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

TV issues the following error:

"Cannot import for the following reasons:

Stored programme list in the connected USB device is invalid.

Country of the stored programme list differs to the one in the TV."

So the only thing one can do with Marshmallow is to perform a factory reset. So I have to reiterate:

What one can easily conclude is that channel management on Sony is massively screwed up and lacks a proper documentation.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Be aware that doing so there will be a very very slow channel search and also your regional settings-time will also be wrong and might need often correct setting. See this:

https://community.sony.gr/t5/android-tv/kdl-50w809c-satellite-channels-re-sorting-themselves/td-p/20...

By the way, did you try changing time region settings? This might allow importing your file.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

One can easily imagine that screwing with the region would imply other issues. I am not doing that and I also don't recommend it to others. Sony needs to fix that. But they probably won't. How hard can it be not to force the regional channel sorting all the time?