Join now - be part of our community!

Motionflow issue

profile.country.GB.title
Alex299def
Explorer

Motionflow issue

I find out something intresting about Motionflow in my KDL 50W755C. Motionflow not work in default or any other players when videofile have aspect ration other than 16:9.

72 REPLIES 72
profile.country.FR.title
burn2shine
Explorer

MotionFlow issues on aspect ratios other than 16:9

Problem:

Some forum members have noticed that MotionFlow either doesnt work or not very effective upon playback of video content with aspect ratios other than 16:9.  Basically in summary, the videos that have the black bars at the top and bottom are effected.  Issue seems to happen on both ATV1 and ATV2 platforms.

Thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/motionflow-issue/m-p/2352056

Updates:

27-07-2017 - Issue has been reported to Sony.  Any feedback received will be reported back.

Sorry, english is not my language but to be clear. It's an issue only with android apps (Sony Video, Kodi...). Works fine with hdmi sources (PC, PS4...)

profile.country.GB.title
lollypop11

Has the new update fixed it? Anyone?

profile.country.US.title
Perlnx

A sadly solution of me are bought Apple TV 4K

- Motionflow work perfect via HDMI in any aspect ratio

- Able to play 4K movie via NAS with wifi 802.11ac.

- Audio passtrough works perfect.

I'm lost hope to waiting fix from Google, MediaTek & Sony.

Emanuel87
New

Motion Flow is still not working in Video Apps on Android Tv and Videos other than 16:9.

That‘s so anoying, with only two HDMi 4k 60 HDR Ports on my new xe9005 i have no place for an Andoid or Apple Box. My PC an PS4 are on those ports of course.

So i need to use the Android Tv Os for Tv Shows and Movies, Tv Shows are fine but i love the smooth motion and want that also in movies. I hope they can fix this.

Also the Video Apps including the preinstalled Video App from Sony wont support HDR, if i use a hdr video the screen only gets washed out but shows HDR in the Picture Settings. Am i the only one with hdr mkv files not working?

At the moment i do everything with my PC, but changing the Picture Settings every time sucks and also its one more thing runing.

profile.country.DE.title
mpiet1
Contributor

Is there any info, when the motionflow issue will be fixed? It is a known issue since over 6 months...

Sony 65XF9005 - Sony STR-DN1070 - Apple TV 4K [Früher: Sony KD-55XD8005 - Sony KD-55XE8505 - Sony KD-55XF9005 - Samsung 55NU8009]

profile.country.GB.title
iamnague

I'm also very interested having news about this issue. I’m so disappointed about this TV due to the fact that Android TV video apps are useless, I’m considering buying an external Android box… or selling the TV.

profile.country.US.title
Perlnx

I fixed this by bought Apple TV 4K. It sad to say this but I loss hope to wait any bug fix because they never release update quickly (Moreover some bug still remain after major update).

You can check the bug thread. Many problem still unresolved after a years. I can't wait this forever.
bought Apple TV 4K can fix 2 problem of my tv :

- Motionflow
- Network bandwidth issue since ATV4K can play 4K movie from NAS with truly Wi-Fi performance from 802.11AC.

profile.country.RU.title
Izmenoff
Explorer

It can be fix with VLC player. You can turn on all hardware settings in a player configuration.

After that motionflow works without resize image.

SONY 55XE8505

profile.country.GB.title
iamnague

Many users reported the issue with VLC as well.

And I don't see how VLC could replace all streaming apps (Netflix, Plex, etc.).

profile.country.GB.title
Manu3l94
Explorer

Also bought a 55XE9005 last month and facing the same issue. Usually watching netflix where motionflow makes everything even worse in my opinion, so I turned off motionflow completely for all Apps. That makes it a bit better. Quite disappointing to me since everybody recommended sony..
No problems watching normal tv, nice smooth picture.

Im not sure if the problem arises only on sony TV, since I read something on an other community board with different TV's.

Hope Sony puts some effort in it to solve the problem since it is a long known problem as it seems!

PS: Also verified the bad result with the 2.35:1 ratio with the samples provided from Alex299def. The 16:9 works perfectly! But I also recognised that with the netflix app the problem is worse than with the 2.35:1 sample, seems like its not only the ratio..