Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia AF9 new firmware v6.5016 Jan 2021 annoying power consumption notification

profile.country.GB.title
EasterEEL

Sony Bravia AF9 new firmware v6.5016 Jan 2021 annoying power consumption notification

The new firmware just installed on my TV has introduced a very annoying notification about power consumption. You have to click “ok” or "cancel" on the pop up notification every time picture mode or picture brightness setting is changed.

It is such a stupid implementation because even if you are choosing a less bright/lower power consumption mode you get this notification which you have to click through.

Which numpty thought this was a good idea and how the hell did it get through quality control? Don't need to see this multiple times every time the settings are changed. Please remove it or restrict it to only once each time you go into settings or provide an option to turn it off by the next update.

55 REPLIES 55
Joshf88
New

I feel everyones pain. Surely one of the STUPIDEST updates ever. 

*Tries to turn down brightness*

"This may increase power consumption"

I certainly f'ing hope not. 

What next, the same message when we try to turn up the volume? Stupid. 

profile.country.GB.title
chraitke35
Explorer

Got a pretty standard cut & paste reply from SONY regarding this, basically saying not their problem and they are just following EU regulations. So SONY, just change this to ONE notification when you enter settings, no need for multiple warnings. I purchased this TV before the regulation, I own the TV, I should have the option to turn this warning off.

profile.country.GB.title
jdwyer1970
Explorer

This has to be sorted out its driving me nuts. Honestly it shouldn't even be displayed  on a UK TV. (Brexit anyone???) This "forced on you" Euro B.S is a perfect example of why we in the UK  wanted Brexit in the first place. Sort it out Sony your customers in the UK are no longer governed by EU policy and rules. I demand the right to increase the power to my TV via its pic settings whenever I want to withought that B.S pop up appearing all the time 

profile.country.GB.title
chraitke35
Explorer

Such a major change to the operation system should have had a warning pop up before the update completed so we had the choice to accept this or not. So I understand the US will not get this power warning in their next update as they are not in the EU. Hey SONY, the UK is not in the EU either! so give us an update without the power warnings PLEASE.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi guys, I don't think the "UK isn't part of the EU" debate will lead to anything, I would say suggest the option to (Don't show this message again) as a development and surely Sony will listen.

profile.country.GB.title
Glowi88
Explorer

I've got an x90h replacement from insurance. Just updated yesterday and this message drives me nuts! The tv is in my bedroom so I tinker with brightness all the time, depending on light that is.

There should be a way to "agree and disable". 

What a joke this is, in times when countries have blackouts because of crypto minig, what a difference if my teli uses 5 watts more or less?

profile.country.GB.title
uk1Jeff
Explorer

Presumably hitting the enter key every time you see the pop-up uses avoidable energy?

profile.country.GB.title
uk1Jeff
Explorer

Hi, re the new firmware.

For what it's worth it's my opinion that this firmware upgrade is in breach of UK consumer law in that Sony do not have the right to change the product it has sold to us without us being given the opportunity of informed consent and then declining it. Anything in it''s conditions that contradicts and removes that basic consumer protected right is an "unfair term" and unenforceable.

Obviously if on the other hand we had still been in the EU or this had been done to comply with UK law then compliance with national regulations would have placed them with the obligation of compliance and we then couldn't object. As we have no obligation to comply with EU law - Sony haven't apparently noticed we left to avoid this rubbish - they have forced on us a change to the product it needn't have done and made a change none of us would have chosen that has damaged the product. I'm not even confident that there is an EU regulation that compelled Sony to warn me every time that I might use more power when I was making it dimmer and presumably using less power. I also think it is wasting power to wrongly warn me of this.

I think that we have two options.

I think we could individually take action against the retailer (we have no contract directly with Sony) and demand to be compensated for an an unwanted uneccessary change or for the firmware to be rolled back. Frankly I think most of us would not really want to face doing this.

I have another suggestion. I think the only thing that will make Sony take notice is if it's own commerical interests are put at risk. What I therefore suggest is that on all post 2018 screens Sony threads and all new screens forward, as soon as owners have this new "feature" they alert threads and warn potential prospective UK customers contemplating purchasing that they should understand that this new "feature" radically reduces the usability of the set and that they might consider alternative manufacturers.

Perhaps this also might catch the eye of some Tech magazines and journalists and they might take what is clearly quite foolish behaviour up and shame them. I cannot believe that this approach of using more power to make repeated reminders when customers are when dimming is what the regulators said or intended.

Just to save anyone feeling the need to attack me, I state the obvious in that not all custromers will think this new "feature" too troublesome. But whether it is or not I think as a customer of any product - let alone one costing many thousands - I think it worthwhile fighting to retain the the right of not having the great product we purchased reduced arbitrarily by the manufacturer for no just reason but simply because they couldn't be bothered to respect their British customers for the small amount of effort they could have taken to produce a delivery method of a UK compliant firmware update - or simply a way of turning it off.

All the best all.

Jeff

profile.country.CZ.title
chama-chomo
Explorer

Sony you can't be serious about this update. This is a major functionality regression..

profile.country.GB.title
Glowi88
Explorer

Should they send one of their engineers to slap me when watching the teli for too long...