Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BRAVIA KD-49XE9005 edge of picture issue?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jfrench12
Explorer

Sony BRAVIA KD-49XE9005 edge of picture issue?

Hi,

I've owned my KD-49XE9005 for around a month now and absolutely love it, although there is one detail that I keep noticing and I'm not sure if it is a fault or just part of the television backlighting.

On the far left side of the screen there is a highlighted line that runs vertically the full length of the screen. It is around 5mm wide, and is very visible on grey/dark backgrounds, but can also be seen on other colours. The picture still displays behind this line, but it's really distracting during certain dark scenes in films etc. The line is ONLY on the left side of the screen and there are no similar lines at all on the top, bottom and right sides.

I have run some tests and the line is there on all sources (All HDMI inputs, built in TV receiver and built in apps such as Netflix). I have attached two pictures taken on xbox home screen. I found this was the best way to show the issue with the dark grey background.

I would be grateful if someone could let me know whether this is a fault, or just how the TV is made.

Thanks,

IMG_5238a.jpgIMG_5239.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In addition to what Cass_N says above: the issue that you have described is LED Lightbleed.  The LED lights are at the side of the screen and hence causing this.

As the TV is new, you could contact the retailer you got it from and arrange an exchange or repair. 

OR you could try simply 'cracking' the screws at the back of the TV.  What I mean is loosen them ever so slighly.  This issue could be caused by the screws are too tight and hence the LED lights and panel etc are squishing each other.

Cheers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @jfrench12,

Welcome to the community :slight_smile:

It sounds like there's an issue with the panel.  I would get in touch with customer support so they can help you: http://services.sony.co.uk/supportmvc/en/Contact/Email

Cheers,
Cass

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In addition to what Cass_N says above: the issue that you have described is LED Lightbleed.  The LED lights are at the side of the screen and hence causing this.

As the TV is new, you could contact the retailer you got it from and arrange an exchange or repair. 

OR you could try simply 'cracking' the screws at the back of the TV.  What I mean is loosen them ever so slighly.  This issue could be caused by the screws are too tight and hence the LED lights and panel etc are squishing each other.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
jfrench12
Explorer

Hello,

Thank you to both of you for your clear replies.

its nice to be told it's not just me being picky and it is an actual fault. I shall certainly get in touch with Sony support and the retailer I bought it from. I will also very carefully try the tip with the screws.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

profile.country.GB.title
dizihaberi
Explorer

I want to take this television. -BRAVIA KD-49XE9005- Would you recommend? 

Note: Edited by Quinnicus to remove link that doesnt belong here

profile.country.GB.title
jfrench12
Explorer

I did a great deal of research before buying this TV and despite the issue I am having I would absolutely recommend it. If you can't afford an OLED TV this is by far the next best alternative I can see that Sony offer.

profile.country.GB.title
Chettz
Explorer

@jfrench12 - do you have the tv sat on a stand using the "base" that came with the tv? if so, would you be able to measure the base and let me know the footprint? i'm thinking of getting this tv and just want to make sure it'll stand on the platform i want to put it on.

profile.country.GB.title
IanTomBower
Explorer

I'm years late in rplying to this as I've just come across the post. So, for others coming here, just to let you know that the post marked 'Solved' is wrong. This TV is NOT edge lit.