Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to turn on 3D mode

tim2525
Explorer

Unable to turn on 3D mode

Last week I installed the new firmware (version 3179) on Bravia KD-55X8509C to fix the problem with slow remote control response.

Since then I have been unable to select 3D mode (either side-by-side or over-under). It appears to select it, but when you go Back it turns it off again.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I have reported this to Sony Customer Support  but all I get is stupid emails asking me to do a factory reset, disconnect external devices, install latest firmware, etc, etc.

Tags (1)
77 REPLIES 77
profile.country.GB.title
iarafm
Explorer

Hi guys, 

Newbie here, got a KD-55X9005C and I am having the same issues with 3D. When streaming 3D content it doesn't auto detect and selecting action menu on remote or pressing 3D button on side view just disconnects the source and TV switches to normal TV. 

Guess it looks like Sony will be getting a lot of these expensive, frustrating TVs back if they do not get their act together. I'm surprised they even announced a new range of models for CES this year.

SonamMobbs

Hi not sure if this has been fixed in the latest update but I might be able to help explain why this is happening. I have the KDL-43w809c. I also noticed that the 3d option isn't always present in the action menu. Although I don't know of a work around it appears to be dependent on what app you're running on the TV. I belive that the 3d option is present when watching anything via the HDMI ports such as blu ray etc. It's also present when running apps that the TV recognises as a video app such as Youtube. Although apps such as kodi play video they're also used for pictures & music etc so the TV doesn't recognise it as a video app so no 3D function. So basically I think the TV changes the action menu to fit what it thinks is running on the TV. If the TV thinks you're viewing pictures then the action menu will not provide options for video such as 3D. I'm not 100% if this is the case but it seems to be. I am just running the new update now so I hope this will sort out this issue and more. Unfortunatly not impressed with the amount of issues with my brand new & rather expensive TV

redstar2k
Explorer

I have a Sony KDL-50W808C, the 3D option only seems to appear in the Action Menu while on TV mode, external HDMI source and android's main video app. As soon as I start other video app (Kodi/VLC/etc) the option disappear and the only way to access the 3D menu is by using the phone app which provides a 3D button. This is kind of annoying as the option should always be there, no matter the context.

nwa1200sd
Explorer

Just a quick update (also posted under 3D function on KD-55X8509C).

This now sometimes works but only when viewing 3D content using the 3D "Video" app already installed on the TV.  3D still does not work when using VLC, Plex, MX Player etc.

On occasion the TV has to be unplugged from the mains before the "Video" app works, the 3D button appears in the Action Menu, I still can't view any 3D content (using the "Video" app or any other app), when trying to set the 3D function via the Settings Menu.

Using Kodi I am unable to access '3d' from the Action Menu.  I have a harmony remote, so I was able to tell it to use a 2014 remote's '3d' button and now Kodi does work.

1.  Start SBS or over/under 3d video in Kodi

2.  Use an old remote to press the '3d' button.

3.  Turn 3d On.

4.  Start the same movie again in Kodi, now 3d is activated.

No luck using the side view android app, since it only has the buttons on the real remote (no 3d button).

Anonymous
Not applicable

craig.becerril wrote:

No luck using the side view android app, since it only has the buttons on the real remote (no 3d button).

Hi there

Welcome to the Community.  :wave:

Just double checked Sideview app, the 3D button is there:

sketch-1460592222365.png

Cheers

velelamja
Explorer

I try IOS app TV Sideview and there is no option for 3D, anyone know why is that?

velelamja
Explorer

I try IOS app TV Sideview and there is no option for 3D, anyone know why is that???????????????

kabir10
Explorer

I want to khow why my KDL-W804A unable to turn on 3D in PLEX. Please solve my problem. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kabir10

Unfortunately the lack of a 3D option in the action menu is a known issue on Android TVs.  See:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2126443#M41214

Unfortunately, i cannot determine exactly what tv you have, as the model you have listed is incorrect.

Cheers