Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to turn on 3D mode

tim2525
Explorer

Unable to turn on 3D mode

Last week I installed the new firmware (version 3179) on Bravia KD-55X8509C to fix the problem with slow remote control response.

Since then I have been unable to select 3D mode (either side-by-side or over-under). It appears to select it, but when you go Back it turns it off again.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I have reported this to Sony Customer Support  but all I get is stupid emails asking me to do a factory reset, disconnect external devices, install latest firmware, etc, etc.

Tags (1)
77 REPLIES 77
profile.country.GB.title
John_Keats

The picturemodecontrol list in Sony android tv 5 has following apps:

com.sony.dtv.browser.ceb
com.sony.dtv.hybridcastplayer
com.amazon.aiv.eu
com.sony.dtv.vudu
com.crackle.androidtv
com.sony.rvu
com.wasu.wasutvcs
jp.co.sony.emcs.IpSyncDemo
com.sony.dtv.photosharingplus
com.sony.dtv.osat.album
com.sony.dtv.musicslideshow
com.sony.dtv.networkapp.wifidirect
com.sony.dtv.osat.video
com.sony.dtv.bivlinfo 
com.sony.dtv.apkinstaller 
com.sony.dtv.customersupport 
com.sony.dtv.quicksetup 
com.sony.dtv.networksettings
com.sony.dtv.homenetwork
com.sony.dtv.HomeTheatreControl
com.sony.huey.dlna.renderersettings
com.sony.dtv.braviasyncsettings
com.sony.dtv.seconddispsetting
com.google.android.apps.mediashell
com.sony.dtv.tvinput.tuner
com.sony.dtv.tvinput.external
com.sony.dtv.tvsettingsbroadcast
com.sony.dtv.irblaster
com.sony.dtv.aribapp.broadcastsettings
com.sony.dtv.hybridcastservice
com.sony.dtv.hddmgr
com.sony.dtv.shopsetting
com.sony.dtv.systemapp
com.sony.dtv.apksinstaller.service
com.google.android.videos
com.sony.dtv.softwarelicense  
com.sonyericsson.drmdialogs  
com.sony.dtv.touchpad.tutorial  
com.sony.dtv.timers
com.sony.dtv.systemupdate 
com.sony.dtv.recommendationservice  
com.sony.dtv.irbrecommendation
com.sony.dtv.networkrecommendation  
com.sony.dtv.woprecommendation  
com.sony.dtv.osat.music  
com.google.android.youtube.tv  
com.sony.dtv.sonyselect  
com.google.android.feedback
com.google.android.music  
com.android.vending  
com.google.android.gms
com.google.android.speech.pumpkin
com.google.android.sss.authbridge  
com.android.tv.settings  
com.google.android.play.games  
com.sony.dtv.devicereg  
com.sonyericsson.dlna.dtcpplayer  
com.gaikai.client
com.sony.dtv.hbbtvlauncher  
com.sony.dtv.rcplayer  
com.sony.dtv.actvilaplayer
com.sonyericsson.dlna  
com.netflix.ninja  
com.amazon.aiv.us
com.sony.dtv.tvplayer  
com.sony.dtv.configsettings  
com.sony.dtv.imanual  
com.sony.dtv.demomode  
com.sony.dtv.multiscreendemo
com.sony.dtv.browser.webappruntime
com.updatelogic.netready.da.svc  
com.google.android.backdrop  
com.google.android.katniss
com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

Another approach is to use one of the name from the list and compile KODI (SPMC) to apk with this name.

profile.country.GB.title
Notoriouswoo
Explorer

Tried Sony zd9 tv and PS4 Plex, no luck. I’ve found that it only works and I able to watch 3D on plex ”Apple TV”. 4th Gen. I haven’t tested 5th yet about to buy one. 

profile.country.GB.title
MrGAC001
Explorer

I have the same issue and it doesnt work with Apple TV 4k either. Very frustrating.

profile.country.GB.title
jasones

Hey guys, since I could not get modified Kodi installation anywhere, I decided to compile it myself.

After 2 days of trial and error, I managed to compile latest Kodi build with sony package name, so every Sony 3D TV should give you an option to turn on 3D while running this Kodi. The only thing that was changed is the package name, rest is original code.

You can download it here: 

https://mega.nz/#!QgAi1b6C!jwstSIcb5vuQFa-EKiiLsE3lSARtHvk85dtQg7Jg-dY

It is Kodi v18 Alpha2 and it is working beautifully for me. Enjoy :slight_smile:

EDIT: if you have a problem with greyed out INSTALL button, try this:

as you are presented with greyed-out Install button, press HOME and then open X-plore (or another file manager) again and click on the APK again and it should not be grey anymore. It worked for me.

Just to be sure you can get back to minimized X-plore by holding HOME button which will trigger multitasking and then switch back to the file explorer.

As I said, it worked for me using X-plore, but it might work for you even with others... you need to try it.
________________________________________________________________________You can download the latest final version of Kodi 18 Leia with the support for Sony 3D 24p playback here: https://bit.ly/2GsPYo9
profile.country.PL.title
hctomi

Did you use one of the name I listed above ?

Anyway, nice job

profile.country.GB.title
jasones

yes, thank you. You will see which one. I would prefer not to state here which one I used, so it hopefully does not get blocked that easily :grin:

________________________________________________________________________You can download the latest final version of Kodi 18 Leia with the support for Sony 3D 24p playback here: https://bit.ly/2GsPYo9
profile.country.GB.title
Flexx05
Explorer

Ok so I know this is a old forum but since am new to it and I was experiencing this very same issue I just wanted to contribute. So I was with the good old dlp 3d (Mitsubishi) and I recently upgrade to a Sony XBR65X900C. Well interns of 3d quality I don’t think it was an upgrade. Anyways I have good news I get the 3d to work without having to make too many changes. #1 if your tv is in 4K mode it will not work. Please set to 1920*1080p, 3d will not work in 4k. #2 It work in kodi 18, and on the Xbox one (I tried it on a android box using kodi 17.6 and it did not work) So please note that at the moment I can only confirm it will work on Xbox. #3 make sure in kodi > under settings > display is set to 1920*1080p *not 4k* #4 go to stereoscopic 3d mode/current and select “disabled “. #5 go to player > stereoscopic 3d > playback mode and select “preferred mode”. #6 select your 3d movie and then on your Sony remote click “action menu” and there you go you know the rest enjoy !!!!

This is not the fault of the Sony television. It is the fault of your settings on your video source--whatever player you are using. Sony televisions that support 3D, HDR, and UHD (ultra-high definition, which is the 2160 resolution sometimes referred to as 4K) does not support 3D with HDR and UHD running at the same time, simply because it hasn't been produced by any television manufacturers yet--Sony included. It doesn't exist. So, changing the television to force 3D does not work, unless the video source is both in 1080p-or-less and without HDR. Once you change the source player to 1080p with HDR off, your Sony television can then depict forced-3D images.

For instance, take my set-up. I have a Sony Playstation 4 Pro that features a 3D Blu-Ray player, UHD, and HDR. And, my Sony television, 2016's XBR-55X930D model, has an automatic 3D Blu-Ray mode, a forceable 3D mode, a UHD mode, and an HDR mode. While putting in a 3D Blu-Ray movie automatically changes my Sony television to the proper modes, I must change the settings to force 3D to properly view an image that my television does not recognize as 3D automatically. However, forcing 3D mode on my television does not work, unless I switch the PS4 Pro's settings to 1080p (or less) and the HDR to off. This is because there is no such thing as 3D and UHD and HDR altogether--in players or televisions. In other words, a person cannot play 3D movies in UHD or HDR, because there is no such thing produced or marketed yet. Once again, while UHD (2160p, sometimes called "4K") does work with HDR together, 3D only operates in 1080p-or-less and without HDR.

The fact that television manufacturers have ceased producing 3D televisions in 2016--Sony included--probably means that those manufacturers currently have no intention to ever produce a proverbial "UHD 3D" television. It does not exist. And, that is my read of the situation. That Blu-Ray manufacturers have stopped producing most 3D movies on Blu-Ray 3D videos in the United States follows that television manufacturers are discontinuing 3D-supported televisions, though home video companies are still continuing mass production of region-free Blu-Ray 3D movies in the United Kingdom and elsewhere. Region-free means Blu-Ray discs work on video players anywhere in the world. Some examples of Blu-Ray 3D movies not available in the United States are "Black Panther" and "Thor: Ragnarok," which were manufactured elsewhere after televisions dumped the 3D mode. 3D is still a popular format for movie theaters in big, U.S. cities, which means getting 2018-or-later Blu-Ray 3D movies afterward often means going to Amazon or E-Bay to get U.K. editions.

If you could not get your Sony television to use its forced-3D mode, you called Sony, its representative goes over a series of checks with you, and Sony cannot find the problem with you, then your television's problem may not be the telelevision. It may be your video player playing an image in 2160p (UHD, sometimes called "4K) or HDR. If it is, your television cannot force the image into 3D, because 3D does not exist in 2160 or HDR. On home video, 3D only operates in 1080p or less and without HDR. If this is the situation, then you can hardly blame Sony for not figuring out your problem with the television, because your problem isn't the television. It is the settings on your video player. Returning a product for not knowing that it works properly has irony.

profile.country.GB.title
petemelyn2

Is there going to be an update to resolve the non playing of 3D content on Kodi platform.It was enabled before but is not now,which occurred after the last major software update,thanks in advance,Pete.