Join now - be part of our community!

Youtube app can't play 4k?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
CaptainLambino

Youtube app can't play 4k?

hi there,

I have a KD-43XF7596. When I use the built in youtube app and search for 4K content, I notice once the video is streaming it just says its HD. If I click stats for the nerds, the resolution isnt 4k either. additionally,  the resolution drop down box does not list 4k as an option 

If I go on my PS4 PRO and then go to Youtube, I can watch 4k content just fine so it seems to be the integrated app that comes with the TV. FYI my TV has the latest software update etc.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the app to start outputting 4K?

Many thanks

Melinda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Updated to 2.03.06 which just got released. Guess what? 4K@60fps is back...

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Check out this thread.

profile.country.GB.title
CaptainLambino

Thanks I’ve had a look but sorry it’s all abit out of my realms of understanding. I can’t understand what they are saying honey, do you know if there is a solution?

thanks Melinda 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You can try to go to the Google Play Store. There you search for the YouTube app, select it and uninstall updates. This might bring back 4K. But it might be played back stuttery. So it is not really better.

Probably we just need to be patient until Google gets the issue sorted. 4K in YouTube has been a mess since upgrading to version 2.0.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @CaptainLambino,

Please first verify if you have installed the latest update for the YouTube app on your TV. If you open the app, select SETTINGS (last option in the bottom on the left column) then verify that you are on YouTube version 2.03.04.

This is by far the most advanced version of the YouTube app by Google which is capable to playback 4K videos even at 60 frames per second as smooth as 720p@30 videos. 

The latest YouTube app is designed to adjust playback settings automatically according to the TV’s network connection quality and other performance factors of the TV Operating System such as available memory and processor load.

So in short if your YouTube app is not playing back native 4K videos in 4K quality, the reason is because given the available resources to your TV, the 4K playback is not possible in a fluid and smooth fashion free from artifacts.

The best you can do to for achieving the best possible quality for videos is:

• Make sure your internet connection has a download speed of at least 40 mbit/s.
  • Make sure your TV is connected by Ethernet wire to your internet router at home.
  • Make sure options such as QoS are enabled on your router. Also set the MTU option there preferably on AUTO if possible. 
  • Make sure that you are not making use of complex Proxy, VPN or Web Filters on your router.
  • Make sure that your TV has the least number of resident applications in memory. For this, you can hold the POWER button on the remote pointing towards the TV until you receive the Shutting Down message. 

Cheers,

Dutchice

Edit: Minor formatting improvements

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@dutchice  schrieb:

The latest YouTube app is designed to adjust playback settings automatically according to the TV’s network connection quality and other performance factors of the TV Operating System such as available memory and processor load.

So in short if your YouTube app is not playing back native 4K videos in 4K quality, the reason is because given the available resources to your TV, the 4K playback is not possible in a fluid and smooth fashion free from issues.

That's just not true. Answers given in the other thread.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi CuddlyMonster,

As I previously mentioned out in the thread you mention, the reason for your playback capping issue is your internet download connection. 

As I recall from your other posts (I believe the Amazon Video App) you have at the moment a 20mbit/s download speed. If this is still true, you can try sharing the 4G connection on your phone (only if you reach at least 40mbit/s there) with the TV and have a try. 

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

With 20mbps, I could still go way higher than 720p. I am now up to over 70mbps and it is still the same.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Achieving way above 720p resolution is not the objective here. Since a higher playback resultion is not a merit for quality in its own. Dropped frames, buffer health, etc. all are taken into account as a merit for playback quality. The objective is to deliver the best playback quality possible with the available local resources. As such, a fluid 720p playback is always preferred to a choppy 2160p playback.

As I understand, you have now upgraded your internet download speed to 70mbit/s. So the next step is for you to investigate what is blocking the YouTube app from achieving the full download bandwidth available. As you surely have noticed, your screenshot of the playback statistics is key. There you can see that your connection speed is well under that of everyone else on the thread. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@dutchice  schrieb:

As I understand, you have now upgraded your internet download speed to 70mbit/s. So the next step is for you to investigate what is blocking the YouTube app from achieving the full download bandwidth available. 

As pointed out in the other thread, I am quite confident that it is a missing server side update in my region. There have been several such incidents over the course of time when reading over at reddit.