Join now - be part of our community!

Youtube app can't play 4k?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
CaptainLambino

Youtube app can't play 4k?

hi there,

I have a KD-43XF7596. When I use the built in youtube app and search for 4K content, I notice once the video is streaming it just says its HD. If I click stats for the nerds, the resolution isnt 4k either. additionally,  the resolution drop down box does not list 4k as an option 

If I go on my PS4 PRO and then go to Youtube, I can watch 4k content just fine so it seems to be the integrated app that comes with the TV. FYI my TV has the latest software update etc.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the app to start outputting 4K?

Many thanks

Melinda

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Updated to 2.03.06 which just got released. Guess what? 4K@60fps is back...

profile.country.GB.title
CaptainLambino

Hi, I’m still having trouble, how do you update the app? Thanks Melinda

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Via Google Play Store. It should update automatically. I disabled auto updates though. So I installed the update manually. You can check via Settings > Apps > YouTube which version is installed on your TV.

profile.country.GB.title
CaptainLambino

Thanks boss this worked for me. Would be cool to see an update button on actual app in the future. Makes me wonder what my other apps are in need of an update 

Mindaugas_1
Explorer

the same to me (just got fx90). Youtube, browser and other programs only 1080p..... it's ugly, I see pixels from 1.5 meter away, my gaming monitor view is better. Movies would take only 5% of tv usage. Browsing, reading news on 1080P? And even Ada64 says, that display for programs is registered only as 1080p. 1080P is terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newest applicaton updated version, updated Youtube. Youtobe "options for nerds" show, that viewport is 1080p!!!!!!!

Mindaugas_1
Explorer

Check "options for nerds". If you can ran youtube on 4k, it means, that the stream from internet is in 4k "format". Check what is the "viewport", because it still could be converted and displayed as 1080p as in my case. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The slow CPU/GPU in Sony ATV1 and ATV2 are not capable of rendering a 4K GUI at a reasonable speed. So it is rendered in 1080p which then gets upscaled to 4K. Video is a totally different story. It is decoded and rendered via MediaCodec Surface directly to the 4K output without any intermediary downscaling. So all is fine. Judge by your eyes, not by numbers.

Rikdrt1
New

I have a 4k sony player the 800 model, and its internal apps have you tube and when i play from there i see full 4k

interesting enough my player is connected via wifi and can do it but tv directly connected can not.   Whats up with this?.   

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Rikdrt1, what's the model number of the TV? And did you try adjusting the resolution from the app itself?