Join now - be part of our community!

filename sequence restarts at c001 when memory card formatted!

SOLVED
sarahward
Explorer

filename sequence restarts at c001 when memory card formatted!

when i format the card on my ax53 new videos start at c001.  the series history seems to be saved on the card.. and thus lost each time. Settings/seies makes no difference as the filnames start at 001 after a card format (the quickest way to freshen the card for a new shhot.)

How to delete old videos without losing the filename sequence?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sarahward
Explorer

Yes.  It appears Sony have got work to do here.

The reset/series option in camera Settings DOES NOT WORK.

The only option is to manually batch rename videos and photos immediately after downloading them from the card.

This is totally lame, Sony.

This camcorder cost a lot of money and i expected better.  Even my panasonic compact camera remembers imsge filenames and continues the in use sequence, irrespective of formatting of sd cards.

Lame!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi sarahward,

Is your File Numbering default in the camera's MENU set as a 'SERIES' or is it set to 'RESET'?

If it set to reset the numbering, change the setting to 'SERIES':-

- [Setup] - [Media Settings] - [File Number] - desired setting

sarahward
Explorer

It is set to SERIES bit still begins files at c001 after an in camera format. 

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The manual implies this can be done for photos and MP4 movies - what format are your videos?

File Number

You can select the way to assign file number of photos/MP4 movies.

1. - [Setup] - [Media Settings] - [File Number] - desired setting.

Descriptions of menu items

Series:

Assigns file numbers of photos/MP4 movies in sequence. The file number becomes larger each time you record a photo/MP4 movie.

Even if the memory card is replaced with another one, the file number is assigned in sequence.

Reset:
Assigns file numbers in sequence, following the largest file number existing on the recording medium. When the memory card is replaced with another one, the file number is assigned for each memory card.
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sadly, a bit of rsearch seems to support that you are not alone with this problem:-

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/525693-how-change-file-naming-convention.html

:thinking:

sarahward
Explorer

Yes.  It appears Sony have got work to do here.

The reset/series option in camera Settings DOES NOT WORK.

The only option is to manually batch rename videos and photos immediately after downloading them from the card.

This is totally lame, Sony.

This camcorder cost a lot of money and i expected better.  Even my panasonic compact camera remembers imsge filenames and continues the in use sequence, irrespective of formatting of sd cards.

Lame!

sarahward
Explorer

Thank you but the camera doesn't  do what the manual promises.  This menu option doesn't  work as expected.

profile.country.GB.title
deepdo
Explorer

In the absence of Sony bothering to fix this bug, this is the solution that I use, (posted here😞

It appears that the sequencing code for video file numbering is held in the MEDIAPRO (XML Document) which is located in the folder PRIVATE > M4ROOT

Copy the MEDIAPRO file to your PC just before reformatting the memory card.

After formatting the card in the camera, simply insert the memory card back into the PC, and replace the newly created MEDIAPRO file with the last version from the PC.

The card can be replaced in the camera, and the numbering will continue from where it left off.

Hope this helps.