Join now - be part of our community!

Scope of use for VMC-UAM1 cable with Direct Copy

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
MightyHutt
Visitor

Scope of use for VMC-UAM1 cable with Direct Copy

Hello,

I've just bought a HDRCX130EB Handycam Camcorder (which is great by the way), and was looking into making backups of data from my SD cards using the Direct Copy from the camcorder.

To do this I need to get a VMC-UAM1 cable, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me what storage devices this works with.  For example, it would be great if I could plug in a simple USB stick and Direct Copy from my camcorder to that?  Or does it only work with powered hard-drive gadgets?

Thank you,

Hutt.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

As opposed to buying a new external HDD, if you have any old internal hard drives lying around i.e. from previous computers / laptops, these can be converted to a USB hard drive by purchasing a HDD caddy. The exact type and cost will depend upon whether the HDD has come from a desktop PC or laptop but I have seen these available online for between £5 - £10. Even if you purchase a second hand HDD for this purpose, you may find that the total cost works out less than a regular USB hard drive.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Hutt - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Officially, the cable that you are discussing is for use with traditional powered external HDD devices and as such, using it with a USB memory stick isn't something that would be officially supported. You may find that some flash-memory based products work with it but I couldn't make any guarantees about this and a search on Google doesn't really give much hope for that either.

Having said all this, if you happen to have a spare USB stick then you may want to give it a go - at your own risk of course :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Simon

MightyHutt
Visitor

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that.  Your description matches what I concluded from searching online too, I was hoping to get some user-experience feedback before I even buy the cable (since it's about £20).  If a USB stick works then I'll get the cable.  I suppose the bottom line is I'm not prepared to pay for an expensive HDD device, but a few quid for a cable and USB stick is manageable (and more practicable since I travel where power isn't available).

Thanks again,

Hutt.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

As opposed to buying a new external HDD, if you have any old internal hard drives lying around i.e. from previous computers / laptops, these can be converted to a USB hard drive by purchasing a HDD caddy. The exact type and cost will depend upon whether the HDD has come from a desktop PC or laptop but I have seen these available online for between £5 - £10. Even if you purchase a second hand HDD for this purpose, you may find that the total cost works out less than a regular USB hard drive.

Thanks,

Simon

kimandsue
Visitor

Out of interest did it work using a USB stick?

Regads Kim