Join now - be part of our community!

Sony FDR-AX700.No HDR or 2020 Colour Space available on compatible TV

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

Sony FDR-AX700.No HDR or 2020 Colour Space available on compatible TV

I have connected via HDMI to Sony,Samsung(Q9F),Panasonic and LG OLED.The TVs play back in 4K and 24p but none accept the signal in HDR and 2020.The output screen shows that the recordings are in this format .How do I get a 4K HDR TV to support the output in HDR and 2020.Playback of 4K HDR 2020 Blu Ray is fine on all the TVs I have tried.

There is very little to adjust on the playback menu,apart from Auto and a manual selection.I have tried both.

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

I could try, even though my Philips TV probably doesn't support the video codec of the files, so that test would be of no use for you.

The TV also is no HDR model, so any HDMI-testing from my side would be of no use.

I use HLG recording to have my videos on YouTube in HDR and also have a HDR-ready video archive as soon as I switch my workflow to a 100% HDR production.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

I have looked at the full manual for the camcorder and it says that when recording  on Picture Profile 10 this confirms to the ITU-R-BT2100 international standard for Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG/HDR)

This is clearly not happening since a Panasonic 4K Blu Ray Player which conforms to the above plays back HDR through the HDMI cable fine.

If the camcorder did confirm to these standards then it should output the HDR to a compatible device without any issues and not need to have HDR outputting through the USB connection.

Perhaps a technical person could tell me why Sony have put this information in the manual which in reality is completely false as far as playback is concerned.

The whole point of having international standards is that all compatible equipment should work together but it seems that Sony have decided to implement their own version!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

as I said, I can't test it on my TV unfortunately - yet the files are definetly in HLG/HDR if you use a picture profile which is set up accordingly.

I also am not sure if the camcorder "triggers" the playback device via HDMI at all - which may be the reason for @Vanilla_ to recommend you playing back the video files directly.

What I know is, that if I import the files to Magix Video Pro X and export them as a HEVC file with BT2020 color space and the correct color depth, that YouTube will recognize the file as HDR and play it back as such on any HDR device the video is played on.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Chris1936
Explorer

FYI I have a Sony FDR-AX700 and when I connect it to my LGOLED55E7N TV, which does support HDR, via USB, it fails to read the ExFAT file format which is the only one supported by the Sony camcorder.  I also have a Samsung 50" TV which doe NOT support HDR but which can read USB formatted drives with NTFS, ExFAT and wide range of video formats.  Sorry I can't verify your request directly but I have copied some video to an HDD formatted in NTFS which I took using Picture Profile 10 which I believe includes HDR and the LG is supposed to indicate in the top left of the screen that it is using an HDR video input but it didn't and I have been unable to find out why or even if it was handling the HDR content properly!  I also tried a You Tube 4K video which claimed to be HDR (I think it was a Sony promotional video clip) but again my LG didn't show it recognised an HDR input  -  leaving me still puzzled!

I hope someone will be able to provide you with a clear answer and solution.

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

I have been having many exchanges of e mails regarding playback of HDR through HDMI bearing in mind that the manual clearly states that it complies with the standards for HDR.

These standards require a minimum of 10 bit information ( the camcorder only records in 8 bit).SONY NOW TELLS ME THAT HDR IS NOT SUPPORTED THROUGH THE HDMI AS IT WAS TOO EARLY IN BEING IMPLIMENTED IN THE DESIGN SPEC.ABOSOLUTE TOSH! Even if it did then it still would not work since it does not meet the standards!