Join now - be part of our community!

Activating enhanced features on my Blu Ray?

profile.country.en_GB.title
eskimosound
Visitor

Activating enhanced features on my Blu Ray?

Hi All,

I have a BDPS380 and it says activate enhanced features, tells me to go to sony internet TV (?) and put in a 4 digit code, when I get to a site thats like the one it suggested (As the one it tells me to go to does not exist) there is no where to register my blu ray, I could do my TV but not my blu ray.... whats the solution guys, I want enhanced features!

Message was edited by: eskimosound

Message was edited by: eskimosound

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@cliff550

Whilst the above image does show the Activate Enhanced Features icon the red box around Unregister Your Device might seem confusing, you don't need to do that.

Here's a screenshot of my BDP-S7200 with Enhanced Features Activated

IMG_20160326_212651.jpg

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
cliff550
Explorer

Hi Guys, Thanks for all yr help. Here are the last photo's I took. It does have the the same firmware as you have mentioned, but think I have read in thread that Sony hasnt updated the firmware for a very long time, so maybe this is the problem. 1. the nearest I get to internet video is this, see photo. But it stays on 1/3 for an age the says it cant connect and do you want to check yr settingsand they come back ok. 

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

CubeOver
Explorer

You can try one more thing -  a FACTORY RESET.

If this does not help, see if you can update firmware off USB stick and not online.

Please also post what version of firmware is on the device now, for comparison.

CubeOver
Explorer

Yes you can update offline!

Please follow the instructions carefully:

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/sony-bdps6200-firmware-update-vM21R0164/...

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@cliff550

Hi there,

You can certainly try the recommendations made by @CubeOver 

To perform a factory RESET do the following:

• Open the HOME menu on your BD Player using the HOME button on your remote control

• Scroll Left until you reach the SETUP (Toolbox Icon)

• Scroll all the way down to the bottom of that list until you reach RESETTING

• Follow the on-screen prompts to reset your player, you will be given a choice to reset individual features or all of them. Choose to reset ALL features.

• Resetting takes just a few seconds and your player will display a confirmation message on screen when complete.

Try reconnecting to the network again and see if you can update the Internet Video content as before.

If the above does not help please confirm that your firmware version is: M21.R.0164

If your firmware is already up-to-date there's one more trick you can try and that's to use Googles DNS server settings. You will need to apply these manually in the Network Setup menu.

Change the following values to read: 

Primary DNS   8.8.8.8

Alternate DNS 8.8.4.4

Many of us use these DNS settings which seems to provide a more stable experience when streaming.

If you require any further help I'm sure one of us can explain things in more detail.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
cliff550
Explorer

55.pngHi Again, Yes, the latest firmware is installed. Can u give more info on how to do and where to go to change this, as you mention in photo. thank you.55.png

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@cliff550

Hi there buddy,

Firstly thanks for posting about your retailers exchange policy, that's good to hear and useful to know if you do need to fall back on that option.

Regarding manually configuring your Network Settings, I did do this myself the other day and admit it's a little confusing. I'm doing this from memory so you might want to wait until I can upload some screenshots to assist you.

Firstly you will need to go to the NETWORK INFORMATION screen from within the SETUP menu

You will then need to write down the information displayed in that window such as your IP Address together with all the other information.

Once you have the above info you will need to go into the network setup menu and manually configure these settings using the information you wrote down except you will use the Google DNS settings I provided earlier.

As I say I'm doing this from memory, you might want to wait until I can upload some photos for you to be sure of what to change. I will try and do this later if I have time,

If any other members already know the steps for doing this please feel free to chip in.

EDIT

I just read in another post that a member solved the same problem that you have by simply RESETTING the BD Player and starting the 'Easy Initial Settings' again, that might be easier for you to begin with.

If your router has a WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) Push Button on the front choose that option during the Easy Initial Settings option.

See this video - choose WiFi Protected Setup (WPS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EmvwfpnvIg

If after doing the above you still cannot connect then we'll try the manual method using Googles DNS

Sorry I've edited this post several times, I have just successfully set Googles DNS settings manually myself however I tried doing it again so I could write it down for you and the option for manual configuration has vanished, I'm not sure if I've found another bug on this device or what, I've tried at least 6 times now without any luck, I'm baffled?!! 

Given all the problems I'm having with this myself it's probably better not to try changing these settings unless you're expert in these things.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X1EBKBzR-A

The above YouTube video explains how to manually configure your DNS settings. In your case you would use the Google settings NOT the ones shown in this video. You can safely ignore the comments about using Netflix, all you need to concentrate on is the Manual DNS setup, the rest of the video is irrelevant. 

Please disregard this information, I have just tried following the information given in this video and it seems there are some differences in the menu options for the device shown.

I think we need an 'Expert' to advise further here.

cliff550
Explorer

Hello, yes will disregard the last help message. I really don't want to change any info on router as all other devices work fine. I am happy with picture quality of sony bluray player, but am a little concerned that they have not updated the firmware since 2014. So I would like to thank everyone for trying to resolve this issue. I was going to buy a Sony tv to go with bluray but I think I will upgrade my Samsung 50inch with another Samsung 4K. Sony lost out on a sale. Many thanks again.cliff550

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi cliff550,

I have experimented a bit more with this since my last post and I'm now firmly of the opinion that in order to set Googles Public DNS settings manually you first need to reset your BD player and then connect it via a LAN cable connection to your router. Once you've set the DNS settings you could then revert back to the Wi-Fi if you wish.

I think this might have been where I was going wrong originally because it seems your BD player remembers your network settings and then won't let you edit them again once Wi-Fi is enabled. Believe me I tried editing the Wi-Fi settings maybe 10-15 times in the end and it just wouldn't work.

As for any further updates to your BD player, I've noticed Sony don't seem to provide support beyond 12 months and that also includes any updates. This has been my own experience with both Sony products bought in 2014.

Good luck with your Samsung upgrade :slight_smile: