Join now - be part of our community!

HT-RT5 low volume problems

profile.country.GB.title
Wizzie
Explorer

HT-RT5 low volume problems

Recently purchased, when connected via either optical or hdmi arc, the volume is just too low even when at max. Latest firmware applied. Volume via Bluetooth is fine and when at max is significantly higher than output via HDMI or optical. Any tips on how to resolve? I see a couple of other threads reporting the same problem, typically in the US. This unit was a UK one.

33 REPLIES 33
Rannochuk
Explorer

I tried everything. When I had a device though HDMI the sound was low, even at max it was not loud, the same device through optical was much louder with the same settings. 

Rannochuk
Explorer

I am returning it to Amazon. On the USA thread the same problems was highlighted in October and there is still no fix, so I don't see one coming anytime soon. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have flagged this issue to Sony Support for them to investigate.  Any info recieved will be posted back in this thread.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Captainoats81

Great.  Let us see what Sony say.

What I do know, so far, is it depends on the source and the audio codec as only Sky HD box is quieter on most channels apart from some which are just as loud as the blu ray input.  I believe this is down to the codec audio quality being sent to the soundbar depending on the broadcasted channel.

Funny you should say that in the USA it is something which is known as Sony got in contact with me and said the soundbar is functioning as designed.  Well if there is a flaw then it is functioning as per the design flaw.  I will contact them again with the link to this page and amazon.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all

Ive had some feedback from Sony today.  It has been suggested that you increase the volume on the individual device itself and then control the volume via the HT-RT5.

If the volume is set to low volume on the SKY HD box, it will also output low volume from HDMI and Optical outputs….hence it gives the effect that sound bar volume output is low, even when set to maximum.

So, on a Sky remote control, there is a volume button.  Can you try increasing this to maximum and see if this has any effect on the overall sound volume on the HT-RT5.  Same applies for other devices such as a DVD player - increase the volume on the player itself firstly.

Please let me know how you get on

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Captainoats81

Thanks for the update.

I can confirm this was checked initially but made no difference.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  Will feed this back.  Would be great if some others could confirm too.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Wizzie
Explorer

Makes no difference for me either. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

Im hoping if one or more can test the following:-

Sony would like you to play the same music file using a couple of different devices, such as playing the file on a bluray player and a smart phone via bluetooth.

1. If possible, can you 'burn' a music file (i.e. MP3) to a DVD and playback on a DVD Player or similar
  2. Playback the same file from a smartphone via bluetooth
  3. Compare the results - do you achieve the same loudness or similar.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Captainoats81

1. If possible, can you 'burn' a music file (i.e. MP3) to a DVD and playback on a DVD Player or similar
    Done. Copied the Tron soundtrack to a DVD via my Apple iMac.  Played back through a 4K upscaler Blu Ray player and sounded nice and loud.
  2. Playback the same file from a smartphone via bluetooth
    Did this through an iPhone 6s and played fine nice and loud.
  3. Compare the results - do you achieve the same loudness or similar.
    Yes, both very clear and loud.

I'm not sure about other people but this isn't really an issue for me as I am only getting lower volumes on some Sky channels.  Main channels I watch, Fox HD, Sky1 HD, BBC1 HD and Sky Atlantic HD are loud and clear for me.  So I'm happy with the current setup.  Would be good to see what others get from their results though.  :slight_smile: