Join now - be part of our community!

HT-RT5 low volume problems

profile.country.GB.title
Wizzie
Explorer

HT-RT5 low volume problems

Recently purchased, when connected via either optical or hdmi arc, the volume is just too low even when at max. Latest firmware applied. Volume via Bluetooth is fine and when at max is significantly higher than output via HDMI or optical. Any tips on how to resolve? I see a couple of other threads reporting the same problem, typically in the US. This unit was a UK one.

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
Captainoats81

Hi Richard,

Nice TV :slight_smile:

I have the RT5 and the XT3 and I had exactly the same issues when connecting to Sky + HD.  Bluetooth and UHD player sound quality are no issues at all.  Broadcasting codec from Sky was something I considered and it depended on the channel I was listening to.  For example Film 4HD and Channel 5 HD were a lot louder than Sky 1 HD or BBC HD.  I have spoken to Sony about this before and I have read on AV forums about broadcaster transmission challenges.  So what I did was hook up 2 Samsung screens to each Sony soundbar and the problem went away.  Initially I found this really odd and I narrowed it down to arc function which I stupidly read the manual to enable it (very rare for me to read manuals!)  The TV firmware wasn't the problem when I then connected everything into the soundbar and didn't use not the arc function and the sound is normal as if I put the Samsung TV's on the Sony soundbars.  So I believe there is an arc issue between the handshake on the Sony screens and the soundbars.  I don't believe your product is faulty as I did think the same but I managed to eliminate the problem by turning the arc feature off.  Now you could argue that a selling feature is to have the arc functionaility on (and you would expect Sony products to just "work") so since it isn't functioning correctly with arc on then I would say it isn't fit for purpose so either turn it off or return it.  I hooked up a Sony A1 connected to a home cinema amp etc etc with no issues at all.  Moving a 8509 to the home cinema setup also does not have any issues, put both of these screens back on the soundbar with arc and I have issues with Sky volume.

I wouldn't bother with Sony tech support as they haven't managed to solve this with all the updates pushed down to the tv and soundbars.  

If you decide to get a refund then a different brand soundbar will mean you probably won't be able to use the arc feature between the two.  Perhaps disable the arc function and see how you get on?  Sometimes silly fancy features don't always make it easy!!  It is similar to the HDR function on the 850 series TV's, it doesn't auto switch, you need to go into the picture settings to enable HDR manually.  

profile.country.GB.title
Bigcorn84
New

Hi if anyone els has an issue go into set up audio speaker level and turn them all up the auto calibration sets them all low wich is for the tv side sky free view etc

just turn them up and all good 👍

Br8ndt
New

I purchased my HT-RT5 yesterday, only to find the same issues as everyone else one I had setup, but....appear to have fixed the issues:

HDMI - for me the issue seems to be mostly around using the ARC HDMI port in my Sony Bravia KDL-40W605B (as instructed to in the manual). As soon as I switched to a standard HDMI port this improved the volume. 

Cable - at the same time I switched over to the fancy gold plated HDMI lead that I had for my Sky box. As I did this at the same time as switching the HDMI ports it’s difficult to say which had the best effect. 

Sky settings - going to Sound in settings and changing digital output for both optical and HDMI to ‘Dolby’ boosted the volume even more. 

Hope this helps. Just in time for season 8 of GOT!

profile.country.GB.title
Smoothboy2
Explorer

After dealing with this low volume issue I found a solution.  It appears when you use the calibration procedure that Sony has yo go through it sets the speaker levels to low. To resolve this do the following:

1.  Go to the Setup screen on the sound bar and click on Audio Settings

2.  Under Audio Settings click on Speaker Settings

3.  Under Speaker Settings click on Level

4.  Under Level you will see the dB levels that are set for each of the speakers.  You will notice that the calibration procedure has caused the dB levels to be set at negative (-) dB levels.  This is the reason the sound bar, surround, and subwoofer do not have adequate volume.

5.  To fix this issue, click on each of the speakers, both left and right, and adjust the levels from the negative values to positive values.  I changed mine to 6.0 dB for the Front, Center, and Subwoofer.  I set the Surround speakers to 4.5 dB.  As a result you will have all the volume you will ever need!