Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD890 - Freeview EPG Not working

profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

RDR-HXD890 - Freeview EPG Not working

My RDR-HXD890 has been stuck displaying 'UPDATING' for at least 2 days.

All front panel buttons & remote have no effect.

After Power cycling, the machine returned to the same state.

After searching Internet forums, I found many posts from people with the same issue. Most were dated around 2019.

I tried most of the suggestions:-

A Soft Reset got the machine out of update mode but EPG no longer works and, following auto-tuning, all BBC channels are missing. All other Freeview channels were found.

A Factory Reset did not fix the problem.

The machine displays Software Version 115. I tried to initiate a manual firmware update but no updates were found.

Has there been a recent change with Freeview EPG such that it is no longer compatible with this machine?

83 REPLIES 83
profile.country.GB.title
No_Pic

@paperchampion wrote:

I have the same problem in terms of it being repeatedly stuck in update mode (Sony RDR-HXD970). I do remember it happening before and there are other older threads on the issue, but it seems it relies on an external fix rather than a reset or settings change on our machines to properly solve it.

I'm pleased there are others still using these trusty machines, I was half expecting to be the only one left!...

This is correct. Individual users can't fix the issue if it is a repeat of past episodes of this.

Back in April 2018, I got a helpful reply from 'Digital UK' (who were responsible for the EPG) via a contact form on their website which confirmed the issue was to do with EPG errors.

'Digital UK' has now become 'Everyone TV' and there are no (easy) means of repeating that same contact.

Best I can think of is to try phoning the Freeview helpline and trying to go through the issue and get the problem referred on to 'Everyone TV' to fix if EPG is still within their remit.

Depending on how useful the Freeview helpline is, that might be a near-impossible task.

profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

I just phoned Freeview.

The guy I spoke to didn't appear to be tech savvy - not the sharpest pencil in the box.

His suggestion was to go through the auto tuning process with the aerial unplugged to ensure that all existing channels were deleted. Then repeat with the aerial connected.

I tried to explain that I had in effect already done that when I reset to factory defaults.

Anyway I tried it and of course it made no difference to the problem.

His view appeared to be that the problem lies with Sony.

I should add that there is a note on the Freeview website:-

"21st June 2023 - Latest channel launches and changes on Freeview"

See:-

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/service-updates/channel-changes-21-June-2023

This is almost certainly the cause of the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

The 'Everyonetv' website has no contact information - neither email or phone.

I have no idea where to go next.

profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

I have just tried sending an email to the BBC:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/contact-bbc-reception-advice

I have no idea if it will help.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

It would help if anyone with this issue could send a tweet to @SonyUK and also @FreeviewAdvice and briefly state the problem. Sony equipment, Freeview and EPG broken since yesterday or whenever it occured. Your general location (regional transmitter) would be good to include as well.

The BBC covered this issue as a news item some years ago and so a message to @BBC may help as well.  

There are quite a few reports coming in now over this.

profile.country.GB.title
No_Pic

@brian_mk wrote:

The 'Everyonetv' website has no contact information - neither email or phone.

I have no idea where to go next.

I have just gone through the issues on the Freeview telephone help line who advised emailing help<<@>>freeview.co.uk (remove the arrows!) where it will be reviewed by a 'senior member of staff'. I have just done that along with a past email exchange from 2014 with a 'Senior Viewer Relations Manager -Digital UK Directors' Office'

Suggest anyone affected by this phones the Freeview helpline to report the problem with their Sony DVR on 0345 650 5050 and also tries emailing the above.

profile.country.GB.title
PatJW1
Explorer

Spoiler
Just been on a chat on the link you shared with Freeview.   Engineering work on Mendip transmitter.  Been advised not to retune as I may lose channels.  Should be fixed by Monday and if not to get back in touch with them.
profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

There is also a Freeview Twitter account.

I suggest also sending a Tweet to @FreeviewAdvice.

profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

This could explain the problem:-

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/freeview-more-bbc-channels-moving/

According to the article the changes are only relevant to people with newer internet-connected Freview Play TVs or set top boxes and should not affect older Freeview boxes.

That clearly is not the case.

The article goes on to say:-

====

This week’s Freeview numbering changes (on supported devices), as of June 7, 2023, are as follows:

• BBC One HD and BBC Two HD will now appear at the top of the Electronic Program Guide (EPG) on Channel 1 and Channel 2.
  • BBC One HD and BBC Two HD will also retain their numbers in the HD range on the Freeview guide (Channel 101 and Channel 102).
  • The SD versions of BBC One and BBC Two will be relocated to the 600s range of the EPG (Channel 611 and Channel 612 respectively).

Therefore, if your device or Freeview Play TV doesn’t support the Channel List Management feature – nothing will change for you this week, and the BBC channels will remain in their existing slots.

====

Despite the assurances given,  it appears this change has affected unsupported devices.

profile.country.GB.title
Rewound
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem ever since a message from Freeview adding a new channel about 2 days ago. And I have ordered another HXD890 thinking mine was bust! Really upset by the news and will now tackle Freeview, and will look out for any posts here.