Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD890 - Freeview EPG Not working

profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

RDR-HXD890 - Freeview EPG Not working

My RDR-HXD890 has been stuck displaying 'UPDATING' for at least 2 days.

All front panel buttons & remote have no effect.

After Power cycling, the machine returned to the same state.

After searching Internet forums, I found many posts from people with the same issue. Most were dated around 2019.

I tried most of the suggestions:-

A Soft Reset got the machine out of update mode but EPG no longer works and, following auto-tuning, all BBC channels are missing. All other Freeview channels were found.

A Factory Reset did not fix the problem.

The machine displays Software Version 115. I tried to initiate a manual firmware update but no updates were found.

Has there been a recent change with Freeview EPG such that it is no longer compatible with this machine?

83 REPLIES 83
profile.country.GB.title
Boney-81
Explorer

Hi all you with the Update problem,

I may have found the answer after much trialling, setting up and swearing !!

1. Factory re-set your machine via the user manual.

2. Unplug the aerial and do digital channel search.

3. Insert the aerial and go into "Easy Setup". When asked to click on Country, DO NOT CLICK ON UK, BUT ANY OTHER EUROPEAN COUNTRY .

4. Do a digital channel search.

It worked for me on a Sony HDX995. Get all BBC channels now. Over a 24 hour period I have switched recorder on/off several times with no update message and no furthe problems.

profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

I already tried a Factory Reset.

I also tried setting the country to 'France'.

You may get the BBC channels back that way but I found the EPG still doesn't work so you can't use it to record.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

It is looking like the issue may be getting resolved. Lots of machines now updating correctly, my own two included. The 2pm update has been and gone and all seems good. EPG and channels normal at this point in time.

profile.country.GB.title
PatJW1
Explorer

I have just checked. I now have channels but no EPG.  Hoping it updates overnight.  

profile.country.GB.title
PatJW1
Explorer

I managed to record last night but it was a very laborious process.  It looks like the problem is gradually being resolved though.

profile.country.GB.title
PatJW1
Explorer

Thanks for this link. Useful forum.  I retuned but still no EPG but then found I was on Guide Plus - result of trying absolutely everything yesterday!   Switched to Guide Digital and all now thankfully back to normal.  What a complete waste of a day yesterday was but good to have found this forum and know others are having the same issues and it's not my rather old but much loved machine.

profile.country.GB.title
No_Pic

Glad to say that my Sony machine is also back to normal after this morning's EPG update.

An excellent collective effort from everyone on here, and the AV Forums website, in lobbying the BBC, Freeview and Sony to get a normal service restored.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Looks like the issue is back...

profile.country.GB.title
PatJW1
Explorer

• Yes. Stuck on update. Can't even switch mine on