Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD890 - Freeview EPG Not working

profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

RDR-HXD890 - Freeview EPG Not working

My RDR-HXD890 has been stuck displaying 'UPDATING' for at least 2 days.

All front panel buttons & remote have no effect.

After Power cycling, the machine returned to the same state.

After searching Internet forums, I found many posts from people with the same issue. Most were dated around 2019.

I tried most of the suggestions:-

A Soft Reset got the machine out of update mode but EPG no longer works and, following auto-tuning, all BBC channels are missing. All other Freeview channels were found.

A Factory Reset did not fix the problem.

The machine displays Software Version 115. I tried to initiate a manual firmware update but no updates were found.

Has there been a recent change with Freeview EPG such that it is no longer compatible with this machine?

83 REPLIES 83
profile.country.GB.title
No_Pic

Correct. All working OK now as far as tuning is concerned. Just checked it again 25/8/23 18:40 and BBC1 and BBC2 are coming up OK and locking on to the station.

I did a factory reset though (rather than a retune as suggested by Freeview). I think this might possibly clear out any dodgy EPG data left behind from the corrupted EPG broadcasts.

I am tuned to Crystal Palace if that has any relevance.

profile.country.GB.title
PatJW1
Explorer

Just retuned and everything currently working. BBC and EPG. Will it still be there after next update?! I'm in West Country so definitely not Crystal Palace but no idea what we're tuned to.

profile.country.GB.title
liketv

Glad that yours is still working. I've performed a factory reset and retuned again, but still can't get the BBC and some other channels. I'm in the East Midlands. I wonder if it's a combination of which transmitter and which Sony model/s that determine if the fix works?

profile.country.GB.title
No_Pic

@liketv wrote:

Glad that yours is still working. I've performed a factory reset and retuned again, but still can't get the BBC and some other channels. I'm in the East Midlands. I wonder if it's a combination of which transmitter and which Sony model/s that determine if the fix works?

I am using the RDR-HXD970 model.

Are you up to date with the firmware ('up to date' being a relative term as the last update was many years ago) for your model?

The email I received from Freeview asked to get back in touch if I was still having problems, so you could try contacting Freeview to report that your issue persists.

profile.country.GB.title
PatJW1
Explorer

• It's ok at the moment but who knows for how long. I'm in West Country so definitely not same transmitter and as Crystal Palace also involved it sounds more widespread
profile.country.GB.title
liketv

One is a 790, one is an 870. (I haven’t even tried taking my 890 out of Stuck in Update yet – there’s no point!).

Last time this happened, and the time before, I’d checked that they all had the last firmware.

When I thought it was fixed around 5pm, I was on the phone with Freeview. When I realised that it had only lasted a few minutes, I called him back, and he informed the tech team. Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
No_Pic

Suggest you (we!) wait for the overnight updates and see what happens in the morning.

In the last episode of the same fiasco back in June, I managed to retune and had it all working only for it all to fail again on the next update. So I'll be checking mine again in the a.m. to see if my fix has actually 'stuck'.

Hopefully yours might be working by then.

profile.country.GB.title
liketv

Yes, let's hope! Thanks. Hope that yours remains good.

profile.country.GB.title
Whatstheproblem
Explorer

Is anyone having this problem again? Player stuck in update mode and when power off/on and retune still not working 

profile.country.GB.title
No_Pic

@Whatstheproblem wrote:

Is anyone having this problem again? Player stuck in update mode and when power off/on and retune still not working 

Yes, it would seem so, as of yesterday. See the most recent posts above and from message #855 below

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-870-and-all-sony-hxd-and-some-pioneers-dvd-recorders-no-freevi...

Freeview is reporting a 'fix' as of about 17:00 on 25/8/23 but results are mixed as it does not seem to be working for everyone.

Suggest waiting until the overnight updates and review in the morning.