Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

Hello all, i’ve Just bought and set up my new 1080 and it’s almost perfect except for one thing. For some reason whenever I switch inputs (I.e to Netflix or turn on the PlayStation) the input switches ok but then just after the home screen pops up. This is really annoying as it means I then need to press the home button on the amp remote and I can’t just use 1 remote to control everything. Searching the net shows other people have solved this by disabling HDMI CEC but I really don’t want to do this as it would still mean having to switch the inputs manually. 

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? many thanks in advance. 

188 REPLIES 188
profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

Funnily enough , I sent my Samsung TV for repair and am using a new
Panasonic 40" 4K screen at the moment and the dreaded 'home' menu has
stopped appearing, not happened once in 2 weeks since swapping TV's.
profile.country.GB.title
Tarrier76

Interesting.  Is the HDMI plugged into the Panasonic’s ARC?  And has HDMI control been turned on?

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

Well I tried plugging into the HDMI ARC input on the Panasonic as it’s and now I have lost my picture. I was using HDMI OUT ARC in the 1080. No matter what combination I try I am now not getting any picture. Reset the 1080 to factory defaults also. Fantastic.
profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

@cornelius1 wrote:

Why do you need a work around and/or swithc the inputs ? The AVR should work without any work arounds, simply as it's supposed to work.

Yes, you are correct. But seeing as the AVR doesn't just work and I can't send it back because I've owned it for too long, it was the only way I could think of stopping the Home Screen from appearing, which it has!

profile.country.GB.title
Sonytasfan
Explorer

I can confirm i have the same issue with unwanted 1080 receiver Home menu appearing on start-up of tv.....my SONY KDX90 TV........

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

When you say you are not getting any picture, what exactly do you mean?

My  1080 problem started last week when I found that the unit would not stay powered off. I have a LG C7, and there was a recent firmware which seemed to go ok. What started happening last week was that when I would power off my equipment using my Harmony remote, just like I always did, after a short while the amp and TV would power back up and the amp would go to the Home menu. Obviously, I would be unaware of this happening as I would power off before going to work or before going to bed, so I would come back home or downstairs in the morning to find my equipment sitting powered on. I tried a bit of troubleshooting and had disabled the CEC controls on teh tv and amp. Then on Sunday night, the picture went completely. I have an XBox One X, a PS4 Pro, an Apple TV 4K, Sky Q and a Sony UX700 UHD player and nothing would be showning on my TV but the audio was fine. I tried different HDMI inputs on the TV with no success.

Obviously, to have an AV failure at this time of the year made my heart sink at the thought of having to strip all my kit down. I then had the brainwave of changing to the HDMI output 2 on the 1080 and bingo, we were back in business. Everything works as it should, on the same HDMI input 2 on the tv with ARC, with the same HDMI cables in place. So it points to a failure on the HDMI output 1 on the amp. I even tried an old Sony tv on HDMI output 1 of the amp and that didn't work either but HDMI output 2 did work.

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

What started happening last week was that when I would power off my equipment using my Harmony remote, just like I always did, after a short while the amp and TV would power back up and the amp would go to the Home menu.

This has just started happening to me in the last week ! Very weird and it never happened beforeand it happens If I power off using either my Samsung TV remote or Sony 1080 remote . I am going to unplug everything from the 1080 and see if it happens , adding items back one by one etc  

When you say you are not getting any picture, what exactly do you mean?

I was using a replacment Panasonic TV as my Samsung TV was being repaired, I was testing the different HDMI input on the Panaosinic as I noticed the 1080 was not switching to the home screen when using the Panasonic TV and it was because i wasnt using the ARC input so when I did try that input  I was getting audio but no video so I reset the 1080 and then I wasnt able to get video no matter what output I used on the 1080 so I was switching back and forth between the different inputs/outputs , was very strange but I think it was down to a dodgy HDMI cable in the end and i was switching between the two HDMI outputs on the back of the 1080 and one minute it would work and then it wouldn't. 

Anyway I got the Samsung TV back again and once again the Home menu issue started again and now this power cycling issue has started but I cant be sure that is fault of the 1080 or not until I do some testing.

profile.country.GB.title
Tarrier76

I’m soooo glad you posted this, mine’s been doing the same and it winds me up beyond belief, it’s so hard to get out of the manual switch-off / auto switch-on doom loop.

Sony really doesn’t have a clue when it comes to software on its amps - remember even the 1040 had a character line interface rather than GUI.

I’ll try to change the amp HDMI input - although don’t you need to use ARC to get the amp to output the TV sound for things like Netflix?

profile.country.GB.title
Tarrier76

The fact that the common device between all of us is the Sony STR-DN1080 - suggesting that is the source of all our woes.

Sony aren’t smart enough to work out a solution to either the phantom self switch-on or the arrogant Home menu.  Useless, never buying Sony again (shame, I used to love the brand; all my TVs and amps / audio was Sony.  They’ve lost my trust).

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

Well its strange that it just started happening , I havent changed anyhing with my setup or updated any firmware so its puzzeling. Was there a new firmware release recently maybe it auto updated and we are unaware?

I’ll try to change the amp HDMI input - although don’t you need to use ARC to get the amp to output the TV sound for things like Netflix?

No as far as I know you dont and I was using non ARC HDMI input on my the Panasonic TV and everything worked fine. It depends on your setup really . 

In theory, ARC is supposed to let you have one connection between your TV and whatever you use to create sound: a receiver or a sound bar . You send video to the TV with an HDMI cable, and that same HDMI cable sends audio from the TV back down the same cable. ... No extra cables needed (i.e. an optical cable).