Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDV-E370 and MKV files on USB

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
rupertpeaches
Visitor

Sony BDV-E370 and MKV files on USB

I've searched everywhere I can think of to find an answer to my problems and that includes Sony Support, without success. Support basically told me to read the manual, which wasn't a lot of use as I HAD read the manual and I had told them that.

It seems that I am the only person that cannot play mkv or MP4 files on my Home Cinema System. I used Handbrake to convert a Video_TS folder to both formats and despite trying every option available within Handbrakes settings for video and audio I cannot get my player to recognise the files. I either get a 'File corrupted or format not recognised' message or the player simply returns to the Home menu.

I realise that mkv is simply a container, but that doesn't help much. I have even tried different Video_TS folders in case these were corrupted. This seemed unlikely as the files played on my PC., but I am desperate and fed up with spending so much time on what I thought would be a straightforward matter.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction in terms of what encoding settings I need to use to play these files mkv and/or MP4)?

My USB HD is a Western Digital MyBook AV formatted Fat32 and I understand this is compatible with the BDV-E370.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am within a whisker of returning the player to Amazon and seeking an alternative.

I feel that Sony have adopted a very simplistic and misleading approach to their advertising and after many years as a Sony user, I am very disappointed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rupertpeaches
Visitor

What I've found works for me is to set the fps to fixed. Apparently this is NOT the same as using the option 'Same as source.'

Hope this helps you.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.es_ES.title
wahuka
Visitor

I have the same problem.

Any help?

rupertpeaches
Visitor

What I've found works for me is to set the fps to fixed. Apparently this is NOT the same as using the option 'Same as source.'

Hope this helps you.

rupertpeaches
Visitor

In the main window, on the Video tab, there is a pop-up menu labeled  "Framerate (fps)". It lets you select the frame speed you want.

I haven't treid mkvmerge. Look forward to your results.

profile.country.GB.title
blumunkee
New

How do you do that, I cannot see an option in Handbrake to set a 'fixed' video framerate.

Better still would be a way of doing it in mkvmerge - As I'm not wanting to re-encode the mkv file (which takes ages), I just want to get the file to be recognised on my bluray player.

Going to try a file which wasnt working, that I've done the following to in mkvmerge:

Try disable the header compression in Mkvmerge, under File -> Options and select "disable header removal compression for audio and video tracks by default".

I'll report back to let you all know whether it works or not.

Regards.

rupertpeaches
Visitor

Many thanks for that in depth response, blumunkee. Its much appreciated.

Most of the files I've copied are TV series and I,m not too bothered about high quality sound, but for my films it could be really useful.

Thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
blumunkee
New

Findings:

Setting the framerate within Handshake to a fixed fps works, but Handshake in my case goes away and recompresses the file making it smaller and taking away some of the quality from the sound and video.

So I recommend you do the following, this worked a treat for me. These are files that I had created from blu-ray which all played fine on a PC. I had thought were useless for my e370, but they just need a slight re-ajustment:

Download Mediainfo

Use this on the file which you have which will not play on your box, I'm betting that within Mediainfo it'll appear like this:

mediainfo1.jpg

Any files which show (Header stripping) within Mediainfo will not play on your sony box, so you need to get rid of this.

You do this by:

Download Mkvtoolnix

Launch 'MKVmerge GUI'

Goto: File -> Options & tick in the 'mmg' tab 'Disable header removal compression for audio and video tracks by default'.

Click 'OK'

Add the offending file to the 'Input' tab.

Make sure all tracks required are ticked.

Then either 'Add to job queue' and start later from 'Muxing' / 'Manage jobs' or click 'Start muxing' straight away it'll take about 5mins for a 4gig file to remove its header, rather than up to 2hrs to recompress the whole file in Handshake.

Load the file again in Mediainfo and you'll get:

mediainfo2.jpg

Excatly the same settings minus the (Header stripping).

Put the file on a USB device and let your player see if it can play it!

*Note, you might still get "Unable to play Audio Source", this in my case disappeared after a few seconds and the file played perfectly.

**MKVmerge is also fabulous for splitting those large files so they'll fit on your FAT32 device, see 'Splitting' in the 'Global' tab.

:slight_smile:

profile.country.tr_TR.title
c.a.g.l.a.r
New

You saved my all 3d mkv files!  thanks a lot!

I'm using 3.3 version of MKVMergeGUI, that works like a charm... It has not that option

"Disable header removal compression for audio and video tracks"

Also you can fix your mkv files which seems to be corrupted... thanks again!

profile.country.tr_TR.title
melihileri
Visitor

My file does not have the (Header Stripping) but it still gives the corrupt or unsupported file message on my BDV-E380.

just to ensure that everything else but the file is working, an avi file in the same folder works fine. but of course that is not the 3d movie file i'm trying to play.

edcull
New

Hi

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem. Could it be to do with the formating of the USB stick?