Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks

195 REPLIES 195
MerryGlennie
Explorer

I also have an HXD-790 but my "update" problem has morphed into a "no signal" problem, even though none of the cables or the aerial have been disturbed. Tried switching off at the socket, tried resetting, not getting any signal and so can't even check if my EPG or channels reverted to normal when everyone else's did. Also don't have any other Freeview receiver to check if it's an aerial problem. Anyone else having this additional probelm?

Mr_Onion

Mines been fine since I 'went French'

Its recording ATM so I will try going back to English tomorrow.

Mr_Onion

Re: RDR-HXD890 DVD has no Digital channels

From captainpacific on the AV Forums:

"Temporary partial fix for this:

I tuned my Pioneer DVR-560 (the Sony's should be very similar or identical) as a French person - so selecting "France" when doing a replace channels re-tune. Don't worry, it won't all come up in French - but it did produce all 118 viewable channels - no more blank screens!

However, the EPG is still screwed, so I can't set recordings through that. But, manually setting recordings does work."

Paul197005
Explorer

We have 2 off RDR-HXD995s, (both firmware ver 1.24) both of which experienced the "stuck in update" issue. I located the forum entry earlier and installed the "France" channels as suggested and I also turned off the "auto update" setting.

Since then some update must have been performed as some of the channels have dissapeared (e.g, no CH5+1, Really on 20 not 17 etc), which has been a reccurring issue for some time since one of the major freeview updates (Chesterfield transmitter).

We are able to record at present but assume there will be a more permanant fix to prevent this issue occurring again?

profile.country.GB.title
DebbieDebs

It is because I want to be out and about in the good weather that I want to record more programmes. Gave up yesterday as suggested and went to the pub but as it was the same this a.m. thought I'd better make an effort, especially as it had clouded over 🙂

mariche21
Explorer

The Humax should have HD channels as well while my HXD870 does mot
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@stroger8938 wrote:

Having reported this issue to the BBC I got a reply today and it points to a  which squarely points the blame at SONY.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23395516

Stuart

Great reporting by the BBC..:smileyrolleyes:

Unfortunately the BBC, as did many community members, looked at a thread that was started back in April were a user reports missing digital channels, from this the BBC incorrectly speculated that Sony had released a firmware update V1.70 that had caused this weekends problem..

As we all know this is NOT the case & the cause of the problem was down to a corrupt Freeview EPG, althought the BBC article has been ammended serveral times today they don't seem to have picked up on their error yet..

However it's encouraging to know that Sony staff have been working over the weekend to fix someone else's mistake, just wish someone from Sony had communicated with us sooner then perhaps this situation could have been managed better..

Racalman
Explorer

My RDR-HXD995 was affected by this on Friday. I followed the tip to move to France and that got the channels back. This evening (Sunday) I read the post saying that the problem was fixed, so went back to Easy Setup, changed my location back to the UK et voila I now have a working EPG again.

I know a lot of people have been frustrated by this but getting it fixed over a weekend is good going, so thank you Sony.

If anyone is having problems getting out of Update mode, pull the mains plug out and wait 15 minutes. When you reconnect it you will be able to switch on and get in to Setup.

I also had to do this when upgrading the firmware to 1.24. It stuck on DOWNLOAD-5 for ages, but disconnecting the power for 15 minutes did the trick.

Mike

Amanda-Jade
Explorer

Dear Thalamus,

Couldn't reply on my original thread as it has been now locked, but want to say thank you for posting the link with all the helpful bits on.

I have now returned home from work and my recorder was still stuck on Update. I have seen the posts saying the problem has now been fixed, so I turned it off from the mains and then went via the motions using the easy set up and the EPG channels are now all back! Hurray!

Thank you for all your help on here. It's been reasurring to have experts like yourselves being able to assist us non techies 🙂

Did Sony issue a statement saying what the problem was? I haven't seen it as yet.

Kind regards

Amanda

tepee0_0
Explorer

Hi suzannewarnock...

"I'm in Northern Ireland. Just followed your instructions to check what version I have. Mine currently says 1.65.

I have my system set for automatic updates. Is there something else I should be doing myself? I have never downloaded or made any updates to my RDR-HXD870 Recorder."

go to this site...  http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/RDR-HXD870/downloads/FW_DVDR_170  ...and follow the instructions to download V1.7 to your computer and "burn" a CD that you can use to update your DVD recorder firmware. Follow the instructions carefully. Others have suggested to wait in case Sony make a more up-to-date update available as this one was released in Feb 2010. I only updated yesterday (after I found the machine had a fault) but the update is supposed to fix a previous issue where they had a problem that Digital channels disappear. If yours is working and you have all channels then you may decide to save the aggro.