Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks

195 REPLIES 195
topcattim
Explorer

Just to note that while other people's problems seem to have been fixed, my RDR 870 isn't working yet. I've turned it off and on again and now have it sitting on manual update for ages now - its frozen at 0%.

:worried:

jimturner01
Explorer

Mine & friends seem to be fixed as well

tepee0_0
Explorer

My machine is now back to normal too. I expected the problem to be fixed by Wednesday so I'm pleased that it has been fixed over the weekend. Thanks to all those who came up with workarounds and for letting us all know that the fix has been done.
BERNM2013
Explorer

Having been one who started the thread under the RECORDER PROBLEMS heading, I can confirm that the EPG is now back to almost normal - almost because the layout/font etc is now in horrible colours !  However it IS working and I have had to do nothing today - it has automatically cleared the basic problem without my even having to use Easy Setup again.

I have to say that I am disappointed to see several anti-SONY comments. I appreciate that there was an apparent lack of "official" input for some while (probably due to several similar threads being set-up), but on a personal note this is the FIRST problem of this nature since first acquiring the Recorder in 2007. So in my book, well done SONY !

anneprice
Explorer

gerry1047 said:

"Of course there are lessons to be learnt

Dont buy Sony.

Problems will always occur. It's how they are dealt with that matters.

This has been disastrous. No acknowledgement for a long time. Still little communication.

Good if its working, but I want Sony to tell me, its their product"

I think you might be a little harsh, here.  I don't know how long this problem went on for - I discovered it on my box last night and it's fixed about 12 hours later. Bad things happened, but this is hardly the end of the world. I also wonder how long we can hold a company responsible for their products.  I've had mine nearly 5 years.  I'm not saying that's long enough or not long enough...I genuinely don't know how long we can expect Sony to accept responsibility (any more than I know when they stopped selling this series of equipment.)  The point is: they go it fixed. As someone else said (fairly charitably) they may have been too busy trying to resolve the issue to immediately post about it!

almenzies
Explorer

I am back in business. Many thanks to all who supplied the workarounds, and to Sony for fixing the problem. Thank goodness for community forums! Life goes on - it's only television - nobody died.

profile.country.GB.title
DebbieDebs

I am still affected by this problem. Will try the France solution but obviously this isn't a proper fix and doesn't resolve the problem re EPG.

profile.country.GB.title
DebbieDebs

profile.country.GB.title
stevied

It still doesn't excuse Sony for having no tech cover at the weekend. It seems to have been fixed pretty quickly once they got involved. I have been posting on Sony's UK facebook page since yesterday morning but it took until this morning to get a response. Tha's not what I call service and am waiting for Sony's official statement. They could at least have put something on their own webpage. What about all the people who rushed out to buy a new one or tried to get the old one repaired (See other posts or the BBC news/tech webpage.) Some on here sound like Sony employees trying to disguise themselves as punters. I can see no other reason to defend Sony over this.

grumpyguts
Explorer

re: anneprice

With respect, I could accept your point if it wasn't Sony whose action caused the problem. They weren't simply bystanders swooping to the rescue. They caused the debacle in the first place by tinkering with something that was perfectly okay before.

In other words, if they said "we're no longer interested in your 5 year old piece of kit" ...... we'd all have been much better off.