Join now - be part of our community!

UBP-X800M2 freeze during 4K playback

profile.country.DK.title
glenstrup
Explorer

UBP-X800M2 freeze during 4K playback

My UBP-X800M2 constantly freeze after approximately one hour of 4K playback. IT happens with any of my 4K discs.

Any ideas?

29 REPLIES 29
profile.country.GB.title
briasmit9
Explorer

Hi,

I have an x800m2 and mine doesn't. You could look and see whether you need a firmware update and reset yo factory settings as it could be a firmware or setting irregularity. Re the latter, having pressed 'Home'  on the remote, check to see if playback of BD discs is set to Auto so as to include 4k.I always leave dolby vision on myself. It myself. You could also try blu ray discs and dvds. Another option is to try the relevant 4k discs on another player to check whether they are the fault

Should the problem persist. Get it booked in on this site for repair as less than 12 months old.

profile.country.GB.title
clifftomkins
Explorer

Sony support have had me trying various changes including new cables, reboots, factory reset etc.

Its not as though I am trying to mix manufacturers - AVR is STR-DA5800ES & Projector is VPL-VW570ES.

The player is less than a year old and with the all-in cost I would not expect to have to re-cable (floor and carpet up).

What next Sony?

profile.country.DK.title
glenstrup
Explorer

I found the problem myself. At my place this was a case of overheating.

I moved the player to a cooler place and the problem was solved.

My old sony blu ray was fine at the first location, but this one wasn't.

profile.country.GB.title
clifftomkins
Explorer

Thank s for the suggestion and I will try it.
I already have a fan running when the Amp is on.
It may be a day or two before I get the chance to try but I will let you
know how it goes.
profile.country.GB.title
clifftomkins
Explorer

Regret to say with the player out of the cupboard and away from any heat it started to freeze after about an hour for a few seconds each time. This was just a DVD.
I think it is time after 40+ years of purchasing or specifying SONY, I look elsewhere.

profile.country.GB.title
peterfranklin

I'm now on my second UBP-X800, which has exactly the same problem locking up after about an hour playing blu ray or UHD discs. This happens on about half of all rental discs, and has also happened on brand new discs fresh out the box.

When I had the problem on the first player, Sony support gave me a long list of checks to make, which I did without success. The last check was sending it to a repair centre, which would have cost me a fair bit of fuel cost to get there. So, as it was less than a year old I sent it back to Amazon and got a replacement.

My previous blu-ray player from Sony was perfect, as was the Sony AV receiver. Since upgrading to UHD with new Sony kit I've had issues (including with the AV receiver). I'm also losing my faith in Sony quality after many years of loyal custom.

Interesting note on overheating. Mine sits on a shelf with plenty of space on all sides, so I don't think this causes the problem - unless of course the player is intrinsically overheating?

Official response from Sony please!

I have had the same freezing issue in both the 700 and 800m2.  I work in software and believe the issue to be with memory management.  I have experienced issues with The Matrix, Ready Player One and Harry Potter on UHD, all freezing after about 1.5 hrs of playback.  Given this problem traverses both product lines, I am inclined to think it is a software defect with the firmware.  I will be returning my Sony 800m2, and trying another vendor completely since Sony is failing to recognize this problem and put their back into problem management as it pertains to this freezing issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
clifftomkins
Explorer

Yes I changed to Panasonic and no problems so far.
profile.country.GB.title
peterfranklin

Your recent post prompted me to let you know about the way I got round the problem with my set up.

I have disconnected the BD player from the Sony AV receiver and plugged it directly into the Sony TV. Since then it hasn't locked up. 

Interestingly, Sony support did suggest this as part of their checklist, saying that it can cause problems. I'd of thought compatibility should be designed into Sony components meant to connect together - but hey ho.