Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot enable LTE on Xperia SP C5303

BW1
Visitor

Cannot enable LTE on Xperia SP C5303

Hi - I have an unbranded Xperia SP C5303 and I've recently taken out a SIM-only plan with Three UK.  Although I have a 4G enabled SIM, I cannot see the 4G/LTE option in the phone settings.  If I put my SIM card into an Xperia Z1, I can see the option and successfully connect to the 4G signal.  My phone is still on Android 4.1.2.  I used the Sony online chat support, but they didn't know why I can't see the 4G option, and suggested I do a 'repair' using PCC, but I'd really prefer not to do that, because I don't trust that it will properly restore all of my data.  Has anyone else had this issue?

59 REPLIES 59
BW1
Visitor

It says:

[]    Network                 0

[]    Network Subset         0

[]    Service Provider         0

[]    Corporate         0

[]    SIM           0

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

It is network unlocked.

alexdon
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

I don't think that this will work but it doesn't hurt to give it a shot, re-install the latest update with SUS or PCC

Update Service (SUS)

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

if that doesn't work then you can flash the global generic firmware, or stop by your local Sony repair center

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

BW1
Visitor

Ok - do you recommend doing a factory reset then?  Perhaps there's something O2 can do by way of an OTA update, but since I'm not with them any longer, I'm doubtful.  Three UK are no help at all, unfortunately as I didn't buy the phone through them.

Natchi
Visitor

Hi there is nothing you can do other than flash one of the other regions roms, I have the same issue phone/network, there appears to be a software lock to stop it using 4g. Until Sony issues and update you can activate 4g. SUS etc do nothing. I have seen it mentioned by others on the same combo, and can vouch personally.

Its a poor effort on Sony's part but that appears to be the rule

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

Go to settings about phone what do you see

C5030 or C5302? 

if you want to flash?

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/How-to-manually-update-downgrade-root-2013-Xperias/td-p...

ShinOrochiX
Visitor

I have the same issue, Xperia SP running 4.1.2 on unbranded customised UK firmware. Whenever I enter my 3 SIM I lose the setting for 4G.

We need an official Sony representative to see our concern.

Btw I also got the phone from Phones4U.

jezzep
Visitor

Hi,

It is related to the software build. In my job I can activate the carrier settings, but with the build version you cannot activate 4g on any network...

It is the reason why I'm so hacked off with Sony. I was thinking of taking my phone back, because it doesn't support the mode of operation....

BR

J.

KoNG_CZ
Visitor

I have same problem (C5303, Three) any solution?

Xperia_SP_User
Visitor

Hi All,

I too have the same problem.  Purchased the phone from Phones4U SIM Free.  Without any SIM card inserted, 4G option is displayed under Network Settings.  If an Orange or O2 SIM card is inserted, the LTE option is displayed.  As soon as the 3 SIM Card is inserted, no LTE option is available.  I have been to a 4G area and when the SIM card is removed, the 3 Network is visible after doing a Network Search, (4G and 3G), along with EE's network.  Once the SIM card is inserted again, no 4G network for 3.

Is this really an issue on Sony's side or is it 3?  3 have been sending out 'Software Updates' for all 3 branded phones, but it appears that for anyone that has a SIM free device, no updates are forthcoming.  What are the updates that 3 are issuing?  Are they updates to the phones or is it to the SIM cards?  I am pretty sure that if I was using an O2 or EE SIM card, the Xperia SP would work fine on those networks.  What is different about 3?

I have a query in with Sony support at the moment, so hopefully they will be able to shed some light on where the problem lies.  I have tried my SIM card in a Nexus 5 SIM free device and the 4G option is shown.  It appears that there are a variety of people having the same problems - particularly with Samsung devices prior to updates.

3 used to sell Xperia SP's.  I am assuming that anyone who has a 3 branded device is having this same issue?  Is anyone out there using an Xperia SP and has the LTE option available with a 3 SIM card?