Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia S Battery Drain

SOLVED
Not applicable

Xperia S Battery Drain

I know we're dealing with Android OS here, which isnt the greatest when it comes to battery life but even after setting all connections to manual sync the battery drops rather quickly. Is it just me or is anyone else having the same issue. Lets see if we can get a Bug Fix out of this. 

124 REPLIES 124
utsavshah
Visitor

sorry if this is an off topic,

but look at this screenshot. screenshot_2012-05-25_2052.png

what's wrong with the phone? I recently upgraded to .73 version.

Not applicable

I had the XS for merely 2 days. Tested heavy usage playing Blood and Glory with maximum settings (Bravia Engine on, brightness full) and it lasts only 3 hours max! Emailed SE and this is what they say,

Here are some tips on how you may maximize the battery performance

There are a few things you may do to improve the battery performance.

1.Charge your phone often. This will not affect the lifetime of the battery.
2.Downloading data from the Internet is power consuming. Turn off data traffic when you’re not using the Internet.
3.Turn off GPS, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when you’re not using them.
4.Synchronize your accounts manually, or increase the time between the synchronization intervals.
5.Check the battery usage menu to see which applications consume the most power.
6.Close and exit applications that you are not using.
7.Lower the screen brightness level.
8.Turn off your phone or use Airplane mode if you are in an area with no network coverage. Otherwise, your phone repeatedly scans for available networks and this consumes power.
9.Switch to a wallpaper that is not a Live wallpaper.Live wallpapers consume more power.
10.Use a handsfree device to listen to music, instead of the phone’s loudspeakers.

We hope all these advices will help you and please feel free to contact us too if you have further queries and we would be more than happy to assist you even further.

Further, if the query still persists then in this case you may walk-in to any of our collection points.

You don't say?!

TBH if I have to OFF every goddamn thing, might as well i'll just use Nokia 3310s!!

What's the purpose of buying high end multi functional smartphones when you have to OFF EVERYTHING?!

Damn I'm pissed.

First and the last Sony for me.

After my Yellow Tint replacement, hell i'm putting it in the local forum marketplace. Pfft ~

Not applicable

I had to charge my Xperia S up twice yesterday because i dared to turn the 3G on, pretty disapointing to say the least. I am hoping it is because im on my second SXS and this one has only had 2 charges up to yesterday so the battery isnt calibrated right yet.

Not applicable

when i first recieved my xperia s the battery was shocking but once it calibrates its as good as any other phone,

my friend has the htc one x and we decided to do a test, we played transformers 3 1080p bbrip on both devices, then green latern straight after which totalled 5 hours of video, at the end of which the htc one x had a red battery i.e less than 10% and i still had 25%, this was after the .73 update which was the Central europe version,

my wife has the ihpone 4s and she needs to charge hers everynight (8pm),

i take mine off charge at 7am and coem 10pm i still have over 30% most of the time, and its not as if i dont use is, i send a good 50 texts per day, wifi on 50% of the time syn with 4 email accounts every 30 minutes and usually play some games for 1-2 hours,

i do use the power saver app which shuts down my wifi when in sleep mode and used 2g only instead of 3g, then i go back to 3g or wfi on wake mode,

i also have ad blocker which blocks all apps from showing advertising which is what uses most of the battery (75% in some cases)

i have brightness on app 45% and mobile engine on with all animations,

i have no worries about taking my phone off charge in the morning and going on a day trip taking videos and photos all day and still have battery at the end of the day,

usual up time before charge on my phone is between 18-24 hours,

Not applicable

i installed GreenPower yesterday, and wow! i've had the phone on for 24hrs, with some light usage now and then like checking my mail, playing wordfeud, etc, and i still have 50% left! That's a huge improvement for me.

Here's the link if anyone wants to try it (i just installed it, didnt fiddle with any settings):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gpo.greenpower&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMS...

BarbarosxPeriaS
Visitor

We all choose smart phones because of their multitasking abilities. Well, if they are really used for many purposes and offers better graphics & sound in addition to many communiciation means and data access with better components for the purpose, naturally they will consume more energy. So, the phone needs a high capacity battery which means being bulky & heavier, more importantly more expensive. Well, if we talk  about Xperia S which is the most expensive of the line (targeting A class consumers) I think these people are ready to spend a few more hundred bucks to get a phone with light charging display instead of wrestling with battery problems. I know it is possible because I use my light charger to charge the phone when I am out for climbing, surprisingly the charger has a charging facade almost around the half size of my phone screen and chages it from 0 to 100% in 5-6 hours. Two things' combination is my multi purpose wrist-watch which has a thin layer under the bazel to charge it in any light condition. Why you guys are not coming up with such an idea, instead of telling people to limit the phones abilities which is the quite opposite of the creative reason of smart phones. Am I wrong to expect such an device from Sony first?

Not applicable

I too use this and getting 16-18 hours with med/heavy use

Garret141
Visitor

I have no issues with battery drain at all. I have android 2.3.7 and .73 update. I have wifi,3g,gps,bluetooth and automatic syncing off. I installed a task manager which kills active services when I turn my phone off (standby)

This task manager was a standard app in my previous Motorola phone.

Not applicable

I think the big issue here is why should we have to reduce our screen brightness to be able to use the phone for longer than 30 minutes.

If the top brightness is to power hungry - don't allow that level of brightness - then no-one complains.

Overall I have been seriously dissapointed with so many elements of this phone including the battery and lack of latest OS.

The phone is good phone and has so many great features, just spoilt by what can only be described as a dreadful implementaion and production policy.

BarbarosxPeriaS
Visitor

That is the issue I am sticking with all my heart. Yes, then why we bought this phone if we limit all the usable elements? I am frustrated after seeing samsung galaxy s3 with huge screen and everything and whaaammm the battery goes for 48 hours at least... (my friend and I are testing it)

But after flashing my phone to ics the battery seems get a litlle bit better (I will post it here, now testing), the conclusion about the battery is a big failure for Sony till now.

My flashing reason is Sony and their sales policy in Turkey, they do everything to loose the customers unfortunately, if you want to read the story I have posted it

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/35239

From now on, if I want to buy a Sony brand I will make sure the phone sold and tested positive for all features (advaced processors, better graphics processor, better sound, better sensors, better and latest software and most of all a dependable battery which is not suddenly goes dead at the noon after fully charged in the morning (with all limited features settings)...

IF I WANT TO BUY...