Join now - be part of our community!

xperia S does not turn on, red light when charging.

CRMSNGRD
Visitor

xperia S does not turn on, red light when charging.

My phone, after spending a day on a boat, was low on battery (this was 2 hours after leaving on the drive home). It went from 6% battery to shutting down completely in a matter of seconds. I plugged it into my car charger immediately, but it has not turned on since.

Previously i have had problems with the headphone jack not recognising if earphones were plugged in or not, but this usually resolved within a few minutes. On top of this i have once struggled to turn the phone on due to i believe a once off problem with the power button.
Recently the headphone jack has been playing up a lot more than usual, but it never resulted in this.  I have never experienced any other problem with the phone.

PROBLEM: Once it turned off, I have been unable to restart my phone. When charging it shows a dull red light like when charging less than 15% battery. I have charged it now, on and off using multiple different charges for 6 hours, and have left it on its original charger as i write this. The power button plus volume up has no effect. There is no vibrations when i turn on the device. The screen which usually loads something when charging, has not displayed anything since turning off. It does not connect to either an apple or windows computer with a usb cable, volume down key depressed or not. It does not get hot to touch while charging, and i remember according to AVG that the battery quality that day was "good". After 6 hours of charging, the red light is still there(and usually a full charge after 1.3 hours, leaves a green light)

Put simply, the only responce of any kind i get from the phone is a red light when charging.

What have i done? recharged the phone for 6 hours, tried power button, restart button combo, usb connection with both an apple and windows computer, i also put it in rice in case there was any water but did not change anything.

anything changed? after 2 hours of charging on the wall, the red light disapeared... tried the above, nothing happened, unplugged the phone then replugged it in... red light.

I will try to get it repaired shortly along with a broken PS3, but i would rather a solution, as both my work and social life heavily depend on it.

thankyou in advance

27 REPLIES 27
kgnanasa
Visitor

I had same problem.

I connected my Xperia-S phone to my PC through USB after 10minutes my phone got turned on and showed 0%

After that it again turned off and I left it connected with PC.

Four times it turned on and turned off automatically with 0% for every 3 minutes.

Later I connected the phone to SONY power bank of 1.5A output, after that my phone has stopped continuous auto-restarting instead it stayed on and got charged gradually.

supernovared
Visitor

i have tried what u suggested but it cant find my phone to repair why is this 

etgar52
Visitor

same problem for me too with my xperia z3. No response, not regonized by the sony cmopanion, and only red led on when connected to charger. Please help!

jmt4905
Visitor

hi Sam, I have tried as below and my PC or phone are not connecting, any suggestions, thanks

Samba3
Visitor

hey sam 

what should i do when the computer isn't registering my phone being pluged in?

Plus my phone has already been charging thoughout the day

FunkyChlobo
Visitor

@CRMSNGRDwrote:

My phone, after spending a day on a boat, was low on battery (this was 2 hours after leaving on the drive home). It went from 6% battery to shutting down completely in a matter of seconds. I plugged it into my car charger immediately, but it has not turned on since.

Previously i have had problems with the headphone jack not recognising if earphones were plugged in or not, but this usually resolved within a few minutes. On top of this i have once struggled to turn the phone on due to i believe a once off problem with the power button.
Recently the headphone jack has been playing up a lot more than usual, but it never resulted in this.  I have never experienced any other problem with the phone.

PROBLEM: Once it turned off, I have been unable to restart my phone. When charging it shows a dull red light like when charging less than 15% battery. I have charged it now, on and off using multiple different charges for 6 hours, and have left it on its original charger as i write this. The power button plus volume up has no effect. There is no vibrations when i turn on the device. The screen which usually loads something when charging, has not displayed anything since turning off. It does not connect to either an apple or windows computer with a usb cable, volume down key depressed or not. It does not get hot to touch while charging, and i remember according to AVG that the battery quality that day was "good". After 6 hours of charging, the red light is still there(and usually a full charge after 1.3 hours, leaves a green light)

Put simply, the only responce of any kind i get from the phone is a red light when charging.

What have i done? recharged the phone for 6 hours, tried power button, restart button combo, usb connection with both an apple and windows computer, i also put it in rice in case there was any water but did not change anything.

anything changed? after 2 hours of charging on the wall, the red light disapeared... tried the above, nothing happened, unplugged the phone then replugged it in... red light.

I will try to get it repaired shortly along with a broken PS3, but i would rather a solution, as both my work and social life heavily depend on it.

thankyou in advance

@CRMSNGRDwrote:

thankyou in advance

OK, let me tell you te story, so basically I had my phone in a plastic zip-lockbag in the bathroom so i didn't drop it in the water, well as I ripped open the plastic bag it fell into the water and turned on, suddenly it just restarted, so then I just put it in rice for the night and in the morning it didn't turn on so I put it on charge and the chargingred light just flashed and it didnt show the charging sign idk what to do so as people recomend I will put it on charge for 6 hours or just over the night! 

Please help

~Funkychlobo

luco1
Visitor

thankyou!

this worked for me. phone died and would only show red light when pluged in pressing power button never showed the charing screen. pressed the up volume and power together like you said and is now working again at 1 percent! LIFESAVER!

i think i tried to turn my phone on too quickley after pluging it in to charge first time around. 

Mmeell
Visitor

Thank you, this saved me. Thought my phone was dead forever. Reset it and it switched on with 1 % battery but at least it is charging now.