Join now - be part of our community!

79X9005B passive 3D motion blur

profile.country.GB.title
samkerracher

79X9005B passive 3D motion blur

Hi all,

I'm finding the 3D on the 79X9005B to be faulty.

Seems there's a lot of motion blur in fast moving scenes.

There's a thread on the U.S. forums about the passive 3D on the X850B having the same issue.

A user (rconn2), has found by having a PC send a 3D image that has been interleaved, and outputted at 4k (basically what the TV does with 3D), that the motion blur doesn't happen at all. This works as the PC is alternating pixel rows between the polarised left and right image so the TV is just displaying a 4k image and doesn't need to do any 3D processing itself.

Can Sony address this please?

Support are finally offering to send out an engineer, what I don't want is to waste time when they come. Can others with the set post here if they have similar issues.

55 REPLIES 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys.

Can someone please post the link here from the US forums?  As I would like to gather as much information about this 3D issue, before I pass on to Sony Techies.

Cheers

yandybox

https://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/XBR-65X850b-video-quality-and-3D-issue/m-p/410976#U4109...

They incorrectly marked this as solved, but if you read all posts you will see this "solution" is for crosstalk not the issue we have.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that.  Its too coincidental that so many are reporting issues on the larger screens. 

yandybox

You're right it is. To be honest I would rather be told there is no fix and they plan to stop the sale of this "3d" tv, than have my time wasted. At least I bought from a company with a good exchange/refund policy. I feel for anyone else who may have been conned, and are now stuck with this tv.
profile.country.GB.title
samkerracher

I agree, unfortunately I bought directly from sony.co.uk so I have to deal with their abysmal customer service.

They clearly just follow preset laid out troubleshooting steps, until you get to the engineer option, which has yet to come to fruition anyway.

Currently I'm not hopeful.  Really frustrating as spent a fortune on this monster, and 3D is definately a big thing for me (think I have 35 3D blu-rays now).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

I have reported what you lot are saying on this thread and linking this thread to SonyEU/UK (as well as the large thread on the US forums).  Hopefully they can investigate and confirm the problem.  Any feedback recieved will be posted back into this thread.

Cheers all.

yandybox

Thanks. And for the people investigating. This is not a crosstalk/ghosting issue.
profile.country.GB.title
RichGee16
Explorer

Thanks for doing that, I really want this to get sorted as I love the TV.

It seems that on the American forum some have got the TV to display 3D without any issues by using a PC to do the processing instead of the TV although it all sounds very complicated to me :slight_smile:

Surely this must mean that its a software fault?

profile.country.GB.title
samkerracher

Yeah, that's what I alluded to in the original post of this topic.

If we can get the TV using 3D pretty flawlessly when it's own 3D processing isn't being used it's likely a software issue with the way it interleaves the left and right images.  Using a Mac/PC to do that interleaving with a 4k output isn't seeing the same motion issues.

The real problem here is that Sony support is so poor.  I really find it hard to get through all their generic tech support guide responses.  Is phone support any better?  I can give it a go on Friday.

profile.country.GB.title
RichGee16
Explorer

I phoned them yesterday and got the usual response but it sounded like a foreign call centre and he was just reading from a script. At first he told me to return it and get a replacement but in the end said that he would escalate it to tech support and call me back within 48 hours with an update.

I'm not expecting a call but you never know, he did give me a case number though.