Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-42W705 - Netflix only works if TV is factory reset each time.

Droverunner

Bravia KDL-42W705 - Netflix only works if TV is factory reset each time.

Bought TV new in Jan '15 and everything about it has been great until a couple of weeks ago. Now Netflix will randomly stop working and only comes back with a full TV factory reset. Sometimes it will work throughout a day then need a reset to work the following day. Sometimes you only need to come out of Netflix for a moment and it will not work if you go back in minutes later.

It will always come back for a full TV factory reset but that's an absolute pain.

The TV is networked to our BT Home Hub via wi-fi and Youtube etc still works OK so I assume the wi-fi is OK.

We have a Youview PVR connected to the TV via the same home hub and Netflix works fine on this playing to the TV via HDMI... but that's not the point as it's a feature of the TV we want to work without additional equipment.

The TV has the latest firmware.

My problem seems different to most Netflix issues on this site as the usual complaint is it just doesn't work at all. Any thoughts appreciated.

72 REPLIES 72
Droverunner

Oh and Quinnicus you asked the exact model... yes it is a KDL-42W705b.

Droverunner

Well Sony support not 100% satisfactory today as they say I have to wait until Tues/Wed for a call back from "technical".

Spoke to the retailer's tech helpline who didn't have any reports of this issue against our model but they did wonder if it was the latest firmware update download that has caused this. They asked I give Sony until Wed for a reply and if that doesn't resolve the issue then they'll get an engineer out to look.

As a matter of interest a TV factory reset now doesn't get Netflix back... it always goes back to the Ui-113 error screen.... still works on the Youview box OK though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately i dont have any more options you can try.  As you have already contacted Sony, lets see what they say.  please post back when they do.

Cheers

Droverunner

Appreciate your input... will report back on Sony's response as soon as I hear from them.

Cicero46

This site has been down all day... Well, on Monday, I spoke to Sony support and, before I had reported the full story and having mentioned UI-113 and BT, I was advised to contact BT support and ask them to disable parental controls for me "at their end". He was adamant that this would solve the problem. After spending nearly an hour speaking to a succession of support engineers at BT, it became clear that I had never activated parental controls (in BT NetProtect Plus) and there was nothing "at their end" to be disabled. They looked at my Hub setttings and couldn't see anything that needed changing. All a mystery.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, I was too busy to get back to Sony and then, lo and behold, this morning I got Netflix working on both TVs without any problem. Problem solved, it would seem (at least for me). No change to the firmware version on the TVs. It makes me wonder whether Sony and BT have got together and and fixed it...

Interested to find out whether Droverunner got anywhere yesterday and had a hand in fixing it.

Droverunner

Interesting to see that it's resolved itself for you.

I had all the same ideas presented by Sony that BT would be at fault with parental controls probably the cause. I knew I didn't have them but checked anyway and tried all the possible advice re Home Hub settings and resets... no difference. I think that was all a diversion as I'm so sure the TV is at fault.

I chased Sony support twice after the deadline they gave me for an answer from "technical" passed and each time they said to wait longer because they were "working on the issue". I've been so busy since I've not had time to phone them or try the TV again.

Wonder if they've isssued a change to the firmware without it showing as a new update.

I'll try mine later this morning.

Droverunner

Oh that's interesting... my TV logged straight onto Netflix a moment ago. So we can assume it was a Sony issue and they've resolved it but are keeping quiet about the actual problem.

It could have been something connected to the latest firmware update... but I also read that Netflix arrives at Sony TVs via some servers under Sony's control... not directly from Netflix. Wonder if these servers had a problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im really glad that it is working again for you.  However, can this be repeated?  Is it still working in a day or two later?  Fingers crossed.

Cicero46

Funny you should suggest it may not be working after a day or two. Netflix on both TVs stopped working on Saturday, after two days of having no problem at all. Still not working. Same fault as before: shows NETFLIX banner and red circle rotates for a minute and then displays Error UI-113 and shows four green ticks when I test the network. Haven't tried Reset Netflix or factory settings yet as I'm fed up with doing stuff that has no effect. I'll call Sony again when I have some time.

Withnail77
Explorer

Hello, I'm having exactly the same problem with my KDL-42W705b as Cicero46 - even down to the timings of the Netflix outage. I had a couple of days where the problem appeared to have resolved itself (although i was only getting 720p where it should have been full HD) then on Saturday the usual stall, followed by UI-113. I had previously had intermittant problems but the latest Sony firmware seems to have made the it far worse with outages lasting many days. Seems to be weekends when the problem strikes, so perhaps there is some link to BT network usage? My hunch is that it's something to do with the TV app hanging if it can't acquire the badwidth it wants.

Gone through the usual fiddling with BT parental controls, Netflix sign-out and TV DNS settings. Really want to avoid a factory reset if possible.

Planning to speak to Sony when I get around to it. Currently using Chromecast or Sony smart blu-ray to get Netflix so this is just an annoyance really.