Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-42W705 - Netflix only works if TV is factory reset each time.

Droverunner

Bravia KDL-42W705 - Netflix only works if TV is factory reset each time.

Bought TV new in Jan '15 and everything about it has been great until a couple of weeks ago. Now Netflix will randomly stop working and only comes back with a full TV factory reset. Sometimes it will work throughout a day then need a reset to work the following day. Sometimes you only need to come out of Netflix for a moment and it will not work if you go back in minutes later.

It will always come back for a full TV factory reset but that's an absolute pain.

The TV is networked to our BT Home Hub via wi-fi and Youtube etc still works OK so I assume the wi-fi is OK.

We have a Youview PVR connected to the TV via the same home hub and Netflix works fine on this playing to the TV via HDMI... but that's not the point as it's a feature of the TV we want to work without additional equipment.

The TV has the latest firmware.

My problem seems different to most Netflix issues on this site as the usual complaint is it just doesn't work at all. Any thoughts appreciated.

72 REPLIES 72
Droverunner

Well put me on the list too... it's stopped working again. I can't think it's anything other than a Sony TV and/or server issues as all other devices in the house get it fine.

Actually this is getting to be more than a nuisance for me... may return the TV.

Cicero46

Well, I called Sony support and the support person took me through the whole sequence of events and then got me to run through his script for this error. I had to redo the network setup, including the 8,8,8,8 and 8,8,4,4 DNS settings. That didn't make any difference. Then I repeated an auto-setup (which he said was a factory reset; don't think it is). Still the same fault. Then he sent me an email with detailed questions, which I have replied to. He will forward to the technical team. In my email, I included a link to this page and said there are two others with the same problem.

My wife says we should return the TVs too. And I'm getting it in the neck as I'm responsible for fixing technical issues and it's taking too long!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cicero46 - can you please confirm your tvs model number.  You listed the 705c.  The others have the 705b tv.

To all

I have reported this issue to Sony in the hopes that the can provide some answers.

Cheers

Cicero46

Yes, both of mine are the 705C.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Before you use Netflix, can you try playing a clip via YouTube.  If that works, then try Netflix.  This was a suggested work-around from one of our Italian experts.

Cheers

Cicero46

I tried running the YouTube app (Peppa Pig, as it happens, in HD), which worked fine, followed by Netflix and Netflix still failed, as before. Did this on both TVs. Thanks for researching this.

Droverunner

Same here Youtube and all the other apps are fine... it's always the Netflix that fails whatever order you try stuff in.

Quinnicus can you explain.. if it's correct... the thing I've seen that says Sony route all smart TV content via their own servers??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for confirming.  Was hoping the work around would work.

In regards to routing traffic from the tvs via sony networks.  Im not sure whether that is still happening to be honest.  let me see if i can find the answer.

mickfootie
Explorer

Nearly identical to the issue i have been having with my TV too and approx 2-3 weeks ago which as you said coincided with a software update.

My TV is the Bravia KDL-42W829B. I have also escalated to Sony and filled in the email they sent.

If they cannot get this to work what is the policy on TV change or refunding?